Author Topic: overhaul  (Read 972 times)

Jason Horwitz

• ABS Member
overhaul
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:32:09 PM »
I was given a quote to overhaul my io 520 but when it came to the end and my crankcase was to be certified, I was told it was out of tolerances and I needed a different one that was at least serviceable. I was frustrated that it wasn't included in original estimate, if there was even a possibility of that, why not put it in estimate? They told me that industry standard was to ASSUME there's a serviceable crankcase. Now my cost just jumped 5-8K with hardly any notice. Is this legit? Or should this have been caught and estimated at my prebuy, I am getting a lot of conflicting opinions. Perhaps someone has some type of literature supporting their opinion?

Thanks.

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
Re: overhaul
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
Jason, It really boils down to whether or not you trust your overhaul shop. The TCM overhaul manual specifies both "new" and "service" limit dimensional tolerances for all parts. Some shops insist on doing all work to "new limits" and some are OK with a "service limits" overhaul. If the work is done properly, both approaches are fine. Cases on the 520 series engines have a history of wear and cracking problems, so it is entirely possible that your case is toast. Most quotes do assume that the case and crankshaft are serviceable and better shops all write something to that effect right in the quote. Why don't you ask the guy what was wrong with the old case? If there was fretting wear around the bearing bosses or unrepairable cracks, ask him to show you or send you photos. Ask what Divco would charge for a crankcase repair or for an exchange crankcase. Some shops will look for any excuse to sock a customer with price increases, but most are genuinely concerned about quality and your safety. I would add that engine break in and several hours of test flying should be included in the overhaul price. If you don't trust the engine shop to be honest with you, how will you feel flying your family behind that engine in crummy weather?

Jason Horwitz

• ABS Member
Re: overhaul
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »
As I understood it, it was Continental who deemed it uncertifiable.  Perhaps I'm mistaken.  My home shop uses several outfits that they have a long rapport with to keep the costs down.  The accessories, the cylinders, the hoses, the crankcase, etc. all went to different shops and then my IA has an engine builder that rebuilds them all who my mechanic says does a really good job.  The only guy I really trust is my IA, who seems to be the "quarterback" in the process.  I do know he's been calling all around looking for a crankcase.  He told me I'd have the report regarding the crankcase early this week.  I'll let you know what it says.
Thanks.