Author Topic: ABS Member Comments on BPPP Online+Flight  (Read 2238 times)

Tom Turner

• Administrator
ABS Member Comments on BPPP Online+Flight
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:24:51 AM »
I am enjoying the very well done online course, and it has been a real boon to my participating in the BPPP course, which I've been procrastinating about (due to scheduling/ right time of year/right area of the country issues).  It's a great idea and well executed.  Hopefully, I'll soon be re-currency trained in my solid as a rock 1956 Bonanza.  Great  plane, great organization, great course. Thanks to all at the foundation who made it possible. 

I can't think of anything that would make flying a Bonanza more rewarding than the confidence that comes from an excellent course for safety re-currency training in one's own airplane.  Thanks, again, Tom and all who helped develop this program.

M Edmund Braly, MD
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director
ABS Air Safety Foundation

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 10:25:49 AM »
I just went through the demo course. This is INCREDIBLE!!  Thanks to all of you that made it happen. I will uphold my end of the training!

Dan Ramirez
BPPP instructor
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
Thanks for your efforts to make BPPP training more attainable and affordable!

Doug Barritt
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Having attended many BPPP live courses over the last 20 years, I thought I would try the On- Line + Flight Course this year which might prompt me to think about some of the technical features of my Bonanza that I occasionally neglect. The on-line lessons are clear and easy to understand. I took notes as I went through each lesson and if I didn't quite get something, I could just click on a little arrow and it would repeat the previous minute or two ... a nice feature which one wouldn't have when taking the live course. There is a short quiz of 6 or 7 questions after each lesson but this should be no cause for concern. If you get a question wrong you are told of your mistake and allowed to correct the answer.

I completed the on-line portion at my leisure over about a 5 - day period and then called Mado MacDonald, an excellent instructor who works out of the Norfolk, Va. airport. BPPP provides a list of qualified instructors throughout the country so you simply select one near you. I would have called Mado even if he hadn't been the closest because even if he hadn't been the closest because I have flown with him several times before, and his calm, friendly personality suits me perfectly.

The On-Line+Flight Course covers the same lesson plans as the live BPPP courses but for those who have attended these before , this program gives a slightly different approach to a subject in which we all have  a vital interest.  I highly recommend it.

Hobie Fowlkes
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:01 AM »
It's the most exciting thing I've seen that you guys have developed in some time.

Ralph Requa
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
I think doing the ground portion over the web is a great idea. This technology has the potential to improve both the quality and reach of instruction.

Bruce Williams
Seattle, WA
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
Re: ABS Member Comments on BPPP Online+Flight
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 01:14:41 PM »
As an academic surgeon who taught residents for 25 years, I have a great interest in the teaching process, and applaud BPPP for taking the leap to internet-based education.  There are a few typos, and a couple of questions that need vetting (e.g., two questions in the course relate to first response with sudden engine failure – switch tank first, then trim for best glide speed, etc.)

Excellent first course.  Would love to see an internet course for those who have attended multiple BPPP courses.

Overall, the graphics are excellent and clearly presented.  The “chapters” are appropriate in length.  Perhaps a printable syllabus, such as is distributed at the “live” courses would be a nice addition.

Biggest problem with BPPP?  The course you and your associates produce is so good that it spoils us for anything else.  The quality of education is so excellent, and the instructors such experts in the Beech family of aircraft, that it simply makes no sense to spend one’s time and money in any other venue (I’ve tried the Simcom approach, etc.)  Congratulations and sincere thanks to all of you on your superb courses!

John M. Cuckler M.D
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:04:10 AM »
I am enjoying the courses so far and they are quite well done.

Douglas Charney
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:29 AM »
Brilliant!  ABS is flying the wave of technology.  Training is really a time issue for me, and this program is the solution.

Joe Whelan
Brentwood, TN
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
Yesterday I completed the BPPP on line course both the on line and flight portions.  For me the scheduling time for a traditional BPPP class did not work so this was a way for me to improve my knowledge of the Bonanza systems and learn to fly it better.  My instructor said I was maybe one of the first 10 in the country to complete this new course.

For anyone who may have been or is in my shoes for whatever reason the class should be considered.  While I doubt the experience was as rich as in
person it was very helpful for me.  At the current price it is a bargain - and to me even at twice the price.

My thanks to ABS and BPPP for making this available.  Just another example of why these aircraft become so personal to many of us.

Bill Moore
Merritt Island, FL
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
I just finished the BPPP Online training. I never have attended a BPPP course, so the online training was perfect for me, and my instructor Ron Timmermans out of Orlando was excellent.  He made me feel very comfortable through all aspects of the flight, although it was intense at times.  But overall, I'm glad I did it, and highly reccommend the course. 

Michael Marsh
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:15:41 PM »
I have taken three BPPP courses in various locations, but found this to be excellent. It was not repetitive, but added to that past experience.

Michael Carmichael
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »
While on vacation in Florida (Spruce Creek) for the month of March I became aware of the new BPPP Online+Flight course being offered by BPPP.  As an alternative to, not a substitute for, the live course it is excellent.  I was able to complete the academic portion on my own schedule as time permitted.  I was told this should take approximately 8 - 10 hours and this proved to be accurate.  I wanted to complete the flying portion of the program while in Florida due to the shortage of instructors in the Buffalo, NY area, my home base.  Your on-line list gave me four choices.  I contacted Buck Williams and made an appointment to fly with him.  The flying we did was thorough and comprehensive.  There was no doubt in my mind he knew both the equipment and the aircraft.  When we were finished I had qualified for an IPC and a BFR.  Buck acted more as a mentor/coach than as a traditional instructor.  I learned a few new things about my aircraft even though I have over 1500 hrs in Bonanzas, that I will be using in the future.  My compliments to Buck for his professionalism and to BPPP for his selection as a BPPP instructor.

Overall it was a most positive experience and something I would both recommend and do again.  The big advantage about this type of program is that it allowed me the flexibility to do the required work around my schedule and not have to travel a distance and take an entire weekend at some fixed time that may not have been convenient.

Thank you and the BPPP staff for this innovative program.

Best regards,

Lee Rousselle
Thomas P. Turner
Executive Director