Author Topic: D model aux fuel tank ?  (Read 951 times)

Dana Pyle

• ABS Member
D model aux fuel tank ?
« on: April 03, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
I have the 10 gallon fuselage tank and am considering upgrading to a 20 gallon.Does anybody know if the filler neck hole location is the same on side of fuselage.I would rather not have to fabricate and patch for a different filler door location

Lewis Gage

• ABS Member
Re: D model aux fuel tank ?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 10:41:15 AM »
As best I can recall I have seen only one location for the filler on the aircraft skin, however I have never done any work on a baggage compartment tank so that statement may or may not be accurate.

Unless the cost is holding you back, I would install the 20 gallon tip tanks and get not only more fuel but a gross weight increase as well.

Regards,  Lew Gage

Thomas Pelz

• ABS Member
  • K35 with gobs of "improvements"
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
Dana,

Sorry, but I have no experience with the fuselage tank on the Bonanza.

I just wanted add my support to Lew's comments about the tip tanks.

1.  Tip tanks give you gross weight increase.
2.  Tip tanks improve the looks of the Bonanza (In my opinion)
3.  Tip Tanks give you improved aileron control (because they act like little winglets) at slow speeds.
4.  Tip tanks give you significant range alternatives.   
5.  There are three major issues regarding the tip tanks   A)   Cost     B)  Aluminum VS Fiberglass    C)  Finding somone who has done it before so they won't mess up with the installation.
6.  Don't try to find some used ones.  Those of us who have them, love them.

Tom

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:28:00 PM »
Cost is certainly an issue. Last I checked, the STC kits for both BDS and Osborne tip tanks were around $10,000. That does not include installation, probably another $3000 to $5000. Since the fuselage tank is probably on the aircraft type certificate data sheet as a factory option, installation cost would be minimal. My big issue with a fuselage tank would be fuel in the cabin. In the event of an accident, that could be a very bad thing...

Robert Lewis

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:41 AM »
The 20 gallon tank filler is located higher on the fuselage than the 10