Author Topic: elevator reskin  (Read 1187 times)

Stephen Finney

• ABS Member
elevator reskin
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:11 AM »
Need to have my elevators reskinned. It appears there are 10-15 locations that offer this service. I have talked to some of them but it is hard to determine there quality of work.  There has to be some that are better than others??  If you have had this done in the last 6-12 months I would like to hear how it went? If you don't feel comfortable posting call me at 901-494-3321 steve finney.

Richard Druschel

• ABS Member
Re: elevator reskin
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:53:58 AM »
Stephen, The very best resource for information such as this is the ABS Technical Team. They usually know most of the vendors and the quality of their work. A phone call to the ABS office will get you all the information you need. 316-945-1700. Good luck. Dick

Charles Mirman

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:24:35 AM »
For what it's worth i had the right flap nose rib replaced at Stebbins Aviation in Louisville, KY about 4 years ago.
Good work, on time and at quoted price.
Tel numbers at that time were (502) 368-1414 & 367-8155, also (800) 852-8155.
Chip Mirman

Paul Hekman

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
There are a couple of critical steps here.  All visible corrosion has to be removed.  The surface has to be treated with magnadyne, though I hear that's getting harder to get.  And after stripping, they have to be heated for a number of hours to make sure that every bit of moisture is out of the porous magnesium.

If the corrosion depth is more than 10% of the skin thickness, I believe you have to re-skin, but I've heard that the new skins have better coating than the original.

Larry Henson

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 09:37:11 AM »
Steve,

I just finished a two year restoration/upgrade of my 1955 G model Bonanza (the first G off the line). I had my ruddervators and one aileron reskinned by:

Aero Surfaces, CRS., OG3R-735-L,- Bonanza Flight Control Rebuild Service. Workmanship guaranteed, painting and balancing.
Frank Baker 530-893-5416, email address is aerosurfaces@chico.com (CA)

Frank worked with the paint shop to reskin the girl while she was being painted @ Mummer in Houston.  His price is competative and did a great job.  Ruddervator shins where hard to find back in November, when I had the work done, but Frank had one and found another one.   

I would recommend him to have your surfaces reskinned

Larry Henson