Author Topic: Beechcraft tour in Wichita  (Read 1210 times)

John McGuire

• ABS Member
Beechcraft tour in Wichita
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:59:18 AM »
I plan on a stop in Wichita next week on my way fron North Carolina to Boise.  Has anyone taken a factory tour of the Bonanza production line lately?  Do I fly into the Beech field or into 1K1 (and any suggestions on where to stay the night)?

Thanks, John McGuire

Tom Turner

• Administrator
Beechcraft tour in Wichita
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:45 AM »
Hi, John:

Hawker Beechchraft is in the final stages of closing Plant II, the Bonanza/Baron factory, and is moving most production to the HBC factory in Mexico.  Final assembly, flight test and customer delivery is already being done in Plant IV, on the east side of Beech Field, alongside Hawker jets and King Air assembly (much of the King Air production, including fuselages, is already done in Mexico).

I'm told factory tours are not being offered at this time.

Stearman field (1K1) is a great airport but there's no where near the airport to stay.  If you rent a car the closest hotels are in Andover, about seven miles south (and the hotels are on the far side of town).  Or, take US-254 west into Wichita and find something on the northeast side of the city.  Jabara (KAAO) is more convenient for transients planning to stay over.