Author Topic: Starter - TCM Lightweight Starter Replacement  (Read 1940 times)

Dave McGee

• ABS Member
Starter - TCM Lightweight Starter Replacement
« on: March 03, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
I am told by my mechanic and ABS Tech that TCM lightweight staters are trouble (tendanecy to not properly disengage) which can result in metal shavings in the oil and require an engine tear down.  They recommend replacing the lightweight TCM starter with the conventional "heavy" starter which does not have this tendency.  Has anyone had this experience and do you know of anyone that will allow me to trade in my lightweight starter toward a heavy?  How about sources for TCM starters or does anyone recommend another brand such as skytech?  How about overhaul vs. new?

Lawrence Danforth

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 06:42:38 PM »
My mechanic told me the exact same thing.

Howard Joe

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:23:50 PM »
I replaced mine with the Skytec. Check out their website. It is lighter and does not have the starter adapter problems

Dave McGee

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 07:25:16 AM »
Just an Update. I replaced my TCM ISKA Lightweight Starter at Annual and it wash remarkably difficult to turn the removed, and in otherwise pristine condition, starter ... certainly much more than the "less than 5 inch pounds" spec'd by TCM.  Now I am being told that the TCM starter had already inflicted some excess wear on my engine and that I can expect to have replace or rebuild my starter adaptor whci is already slipping.  When I called Air Niagara for a re-build quote ($2,000.00!) they immediately advised me that they will NOT warranty their rebuild if a TCM ISKA starter is (remains) installed on the engine and their web site at www.niagaraairparts.com explains why.  I am currently talking to TCM about the issue, however, their official position appears to be that there is no problem.

Bob Andrews

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:03:27 AM »
  Measurements with a sensative torque screwdriver years ago convinced me that the TCM furnished Iskra starter was a potential problem. A Skytec starter breakout torque was found to be virtually identical to the old, large, heavyweight (good) starters furnished by TCM prior to their switch to the lightweight Iskra. In 500 hours I have had no problems with the Skytec. I apologize for not recording the readings between the different starters years ago but did feel that the Iskra breakout torque was entirely too high.

Bob Andrews

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 09:12:12 AM »
P.S. Graham Aircraft Engines, a few miles from here in Newnan, GA can rebuild your starter adapter. Give Earl or Rick a call at 770 252-4995.

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:08:47 PM »
I saw an ad in TAP today for a Kelly lightweight starter.  Any experience with those and what do they weigh?

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 01:32:02 PM »
If it's from Kelly, I won't touch it even if they were giving them away. The reliability of Kelly products, as far as I am concerned from many years experience, is very poor.

I was talking to the guys at Aircraft Systems after I sent them our original Delco alternator for overhaul, and they they said that people are buying new products from Kelly and immediately shipping them in to have them gone through. They said that in almost all cases they are having to replace defective parts. Aircraft Systems has been around a long time and are far above reproach for honesty.Tracy Ryan2010-05-25 21:34:34