Author Topic: SE Airport Restaurants?  (Read 3888 times)

Jim Lara

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« on: April 30, 2010, 08:22:52 AM »
May I please have your suggestions regarding airport restaurants in the Southeast?  

Many Thanks!

Jim

Jack Fox

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 06:17:24 AM »
Ft. Pierce FPR has a great one

Bob Andrews

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49:40 AM »
The Flying Machine at Lawrenceville, GA (KLUZ) is a walk-in right on the ramp on the south side of the airport (just ask the tower for vectors). You will enjoy the food selection and the decor.

Vince Murray

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:52 AM »

Quote from: Bob Andrews
The Flying Machine at Lawrenceville, GA (KLUZ) is a walk-in right on the ramp on the south side of the airport (just ask the tower for vectors). You will enjoy the food selection and the decor.

+1

Jeff Culwell

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 06:10:18 AM »
Several in Florida:

The one mentioned by the previous post in Fort Pierce is good & handy when clearing US Customs next door.

Flagler has a good restaurant on the field that even the local non-pilots frequent.  They also have both a Beaver and Husky on floats that they offer float training.

Bartow (home of Aircraft Engineering), just east of Lakeland has a good one.

There's one at Lakeland, but don't try it on Sunday brunch - it's packed!

Titusville TIX has an airport restaurant you can taxi right up to the porch.

St. Augustine has a decent restaurant/bar & a acro school Southeast Aero that offers Extra 330 flights.  Of course, it would be a shame not to borrow the courtesy car and eat at Harry's right on the water in downtown Saint Augustine.

My home base of St. Simons Island KSSI lacks a restaurant on the field, but there are a bunch across the street within walking distance, or in "the Village" a short drive (just past the end of the runway...) and ample courtesy cars available.

PDK in Atlanta also has both Downwind on the field and a WW2-themed restaurant just outside the fence adjacent to two runways.

Ronald Roberts

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 12:52:14 PM »
Jack Edwards in Orange Beach Alabama is also a great stop. They have been known to cook hamburgers on Saturday, and they have a new aircrew loaner car that you can drive to Lulu's. It is owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister and has great food and great atmosphere.

Raymond Jones

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:02 AM »
The Downwind Restaurant at PDK in Atlanta is great.  Park at Epps or Atlantic.

James McClain

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:51:18 PM »
asking for restaurants in the southeast?  I can recommend one that is sure to impress .....Jekyll Island Club Hotel.

They have a Sunday Brunch on Sunday's that is out of this world.  For 30 dollars is all you can eat.  They have anything you would want for breakfast plus just about anything you would want for lunch (Brunch).  It's really nice and the people there are fantastic. Great place to fly into...  (09J).    Be sure and Google Jekyll Island Club hotel for all the services they offer.   They will pick you up at the airport for no charge.  

Also located at the Airport is Red Bug Motors where you can rend a small golf cart style electric car and ride around and explore the island.

W. Kenneth Austin

• ABS Member
SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
The Elevation Chop House and Skybar at McCollum Field RYY in Kennesaw,GA is very good. It is on the North side of the field.  

Albert Chaker

• ABS Member
Re: SE Airport Restaurants?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »
Charley's, right at the FBO at Williamsburg-Jamestown, Virginia (KJGG, rwy 13/31 3204', elev 49') is a great lunch stop.  They make great sandwiches and soups.  The bread is so good that you'll want to take some home, and they'll sell you some.  Desserts are so-so.  There are tables inside and outside, and you can see the runway from every seat.  It's a popular spot, so there are always interesting airplanes arriving and departing.

Joe Mcleod

• ABS Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
The Pik n Pig @5NC3 located in cental NC is an excellant restaraunt.  They were featured in Pilot Getaways. Call 910-947-7591.

Lincoln Lewis

• ABS Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2012, 08:09:50 PM »
++1
2500 x 36'.  Picnic tables outside. Fun!
Check AirNav for details

Timothy Hutchison

• ABS Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2012, 09:39:31 PM »
M93!
Get the Rueben

Tom Eldridge

• ABS Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 04:32:52 PM »
VNC - Venice, Florida.  It has been a few years since I've flown in.  There used to be a great restaurant with a WWII setting.  Check to see if it is still operating - BUT - I understand there is a restaurant "Suncoast Cafe'" that is really nice too.  There may be a $10 landing fee that I was unaware of when I flew in, but I understand it is waived if you eat at either restaurant.

Also, the beach there is really nice and is a very short walk, maybe 200 or 300 yards from where you walk out the airport gate.  The airport boundary is only maybe 100 yards from the beach.

Once you get to the beach, you will see Sharky's Restaurant just to the south.

I used to put a couple of beach chairs, a bathing suit, umbrella and a small ice chest or cooler in the airplane and fly over there for a nice day at the beach.  This beach is known for it's petrified/ancient shark's teeth that you can pick up on the beach.  Just walk along where the water laps up on the beach looking for little black triangular shapes.  These are the shark's teeth.  There will be other people looking for them too.  I'm 67 and still get excited finding them.  Now I'm excited and think I better fly there soon myself.

Enjoy!

Joe Mcleod

• ABS Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:41 PM »
Joe McLeod
2/14/13

Fly in to KMWK (Mayberry, NC) for breakfast or lunch at The Holly Springs Café
with a wide range of menu items to choose from.

Breakfast includes (but not limited to)
Omelets, Pancakes, Breakfast Plates, and Sandwiches

Lunch includes (but not limited to)
Wood Smoked BBQ, Burgers, Philly Cheese Steaks, Wraps
Hot Dogs, Pork Chop Sandwich, Homemade Potato Chips

*Catering and special requests are available for large groups.

Courtesy car is available at KMWK or call café to schedule pick up at airport.  Café is located in the downwind to runway 18, approximately 0.2 miles from end of runway.  Café phone number (336) 786-9673 or for after hours or special catering needs call (336) 354-2454.

Plan to spend the day (or weekend) in Mayberry.
There are many local sites and tourist attractions to see including:

Andy Griffith Homeplace​​​​Andy Griffith Theater
Squad Car Tours of Mayberry​​​Museum of Regional History
Andy Griffith Museum​​​​Granite Quarry
Pilot Mountain State Park​​​Hanging Rock
Blue Ridge Parkway​​​​Mabry Mill
Carolina Zip Line Tours​​​​Old North State Winery
Shelton Vineyards​​​​​Chateau Morrisette Winery
JEB Stuart Homeplace​​​​Burial Place of Siamese Twins