Author Topic: iPad as EFB  (Read 8902 times)

Dana Perez

• ABS Member
    • Aviate ESP
iPad as EFB
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 04:53:19 AM »
I have been using the iPad in the air for only about four flights.. but they were HOT.... ground temperature about 95 degrees, inside the plane it is much hotter... had to fly low and hot in Houston area.  I haven't had any heat issues with the iPad.. However, I don't have it mounted, I set it on the seats (ON) when I don't need it.  

Bill Woody

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 11:31:30 AM »
John

If you download ForeFlight, prior to leaving home, enter your destination and alternate airports in ForeFlight.  Then click on approaches, DP's, Stars, or whatever else you might need at destination.  ForeFlight automatically saves the approaches, DP's etc., that you have opened, and you can access them without wifi, or phone reception, as they are now saved in the memory of the IPad.  Also, you will get an automatic reminder to udate any saved procedures each month.

Bill

Joseph Fischetti

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 04:54:33 AM »
  Find photos of the Ipad mounted on the yoke with the Angerole Ram ball and a 3" ram arm and Ram Ipad mount.

The Ipad can be quickly installed and removed. A small amount of grinding of the Ram arm was needed to give me some additional radius movement.

Scott Perry

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 07:08:33 AM »
Joseph, do you have the part numbers from RAM that you used?  Looks like your I-Pad mount is RAM-HOL-AP8U, but I can't tell from RAM's web site which would be the correct other parts.  I've tested the I-Pad with Wing-X and Seattle Avionics geo referenced charts in the car and it works great.  Can't wait to mount it in the Bonanza like you did!  

Joseph Fischetti

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:23:35 AM »
Scott,

Start with the Angerol Ram ball to mount on your yoke. (I assume early yoke)

http://www.angerole.com/

The Ram HOL-AP8U is the IPad mount

Ram-B-202U is the ball attached to the Mount

Ram-B-201U is the 3.5" arm

The B-201U will allow the Ipad to mount in portrait in front of the trim wheel. It will not allow it to go to landscape.

I had to use my dremmel to cut into part of the arm to get better degree of movement.

The Ram arm and the Ram ball allows quick removal of the Ipad.

Scott Perry

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 02:38:55 PM »
Thanks Joseph, that's the information I was looking for.  Flew with the I-pad for the first time today just sitting in my lap. I absolutely love it!!  Can't wait to get it mounted properly!  Thanks again.

Blane Armstrong

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2011, 08:31:11 AM »
I'm seeing over the top positive write-ups on the web and in magazines referring to flying with an IPad for a moving map and charts. I have a few questions and wonder if anyone has answers.  Any updates on any of these questions will be appreciated.

1. Where do you mount it and still maintain full throw of control wheels and visibility of other instruments/access to the throttle etc.?

2. Can it be seen in sunlight? I saw one in a bookstore and having forgot my clear glasses, I put on my sunglasses and watched the screen disappear, the IPad looked like it was turned off. Has anyone looked at the IPad in flight when they are wearing sunglasses?

3. The operating temperature may be limited. I don't plan to test the cold temperature limit but the high temp is only in the 90's. I can just imagine launching after the refueling stop south of MKC and then launching toward the northeast and finding out my moving map shutdown because of heat.

The wife is considering getting me an IPad so I won't have to waste as much money and paper on printed approach plates and charts. Before I say yes I want to know it's a workable solution.

Terry Pelham

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 12:27:46 AM »
I have some additional concerns also Blane. I currently use the IPad2 with forelfight, utilizing Verizon 3G.  Works get at lower altitudes, but get above 4500'-5000' and have no signal (same as a cell phone) therefore using inflight charts are really difficult. Parts of West Texas at lower altitudes have no signal. I also use the GS 5870 MFI Receiver. I may be missing something and look forward to some replies. Thanks!

Paul Hutchinson

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 11:18:08 PM »
Ipad with Foreflight: Using the 3G connection inflight is not needed and not legal.  All of your charts and plates, if you choose them correctly on the ipad before flight, are saved on the ipad for inflight use.  So, you really don't need a 3G connection. Foreflight works flawlessly on the ipad!

Ipad with Wxworx weather: You use a Wxworx receiver with the Baron Mobile link.  The Baron Mobile link creates a wifi hotspot in the airplane and delivers the Wxworx weather to the ipad.  I find it works great.

Ipad with Flightprep Chartcase: I don't know if they have this up and running but my experience with Chartcase on a Windows tablet PC was terrible!  Spent thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours trying to make it work and nothing.,

Ipad in general: I have never used a system like this, Ipad with Foreflight which is so seamless, reliable and hassle free.  

John Lippert

• ABS Member
iPad as EFB
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 11:04:00 PM »
I also use flightprep with their windows tablet. Having nexrad is important to me, but have had on-going problems getting wxworx to work and integrate properly with this system.  Also, the tablet has a nasty habit of crashing -- not good. Hence was thinking of switching to IPAD once xm nexrad became available on it, as is now the case with at least foreflight and others are to follow.

So is the IPad system, including wxworx component REALLY stable, easy to get up and running, etc -- ie. bullet-proof??   (BTW, understand that Aviation Consumer is to have an article on this in the Feb. issue.)

Dana Perez

• ABS Member
    • Aviate ESP
Re: iPad as EFB
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Terry,

Your GPS signal should work, but don't expect to use the internet connection.. is that what you mean by it doesn't work at 5000 Ft?  You should still be able to have your positioning information on the charts.  Be sure to download charts and keep them up to date.  If you have issues with your built in GPS, consider buying an external GPS like Dual or Elf.  They both work well. 

Dana

Blane Armstrong

• ABS Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2012, 03:42:20 PM »
Still haven't taken the plunge to use the IPad in my Bonanza,  I previously asked if people found it heat limited or the visibility on the screen to be a problem.  Now I need to update and ask the same things about the IPad 3 as it has improved graphics. I'll appreciate hearing about your experience.

Blane Armstrong

• ABS Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »
One concern down, two to go.  The problem with the screen disappearing is due to polarized glasses looking at a polarized screen.  The Air Force flies with non-polarized lenses, so can I.  I still want to see some pictures of the IPads in aviation use in a Bonanza.  If the IPad is mounted I would like to see how the mount works, and be assured some things are visible (like instruments, etc).   As far as heat, sounds like there is a good chance there will be no IPad available after a mid day fuel stop until you get back to cooler air.

Dana Perez

• ABS Member
    • Aviate ESP
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
For Robert: Comparing SkyCharts to Foreflight!  I am assuming you mean SkyCharts Pro for the iPad?  SkyCharts Pro is cheaper only $19.99 vs. the $79.00 for Foreflight a year. I have SkyCharts Pro and this was the first app I used.  Skycharts has everything you "need" it is just not laid out as well, or as "pretty" as Foreflight.  If you are an IFR Pilot.. Foreflight is worth EVERY PENNY! If not, and you are on a budget as I am.. SkyCharts Pro is a great and inexpensive way to start with paperless.  If you want more information on the SkyCharts PRO and Foreflight pros and cons go to my webpage:  http://danaperez.com and select iPad Review. Hope this helps!

Thomas Nelson

• ABS Member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 12:16:12 PM »
Does anyone know if the Ipad actually has an internal gps or if it has a virtual one that triangulates off of the cell towers?