Author Topic: Alernator conversion  (Read 783 times)

John Farrell

• ABS Member
Alernator conversion
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:49:00 AM »
Generator gave up the ghost in 1960 Debonair. Considering alternator conversion. Avionics are standard dual collins microline which are working fine; DME; Slaved collins HSI and S-tec 50 AP with altitude hold. I do not fly at night any more. Any suggestions which alternator conversion? Debbie still has the IO-470-J engine running fine! Will probably upgrade to IO-470-N or IO-520 when the time comes.

Gary Schnakenberg

• ABS Member
Alernator conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »
I am right in the middle of an alternator upgrade for my H35.  I have the interav 50amp alternator but am not happy with the bracket that holds the alternator in place.  Particularly the rectangler block peace that holds the main bolt underneath the alternator.  There is a helicoil inside the block peace that will spin due to vibration of the engine, which will loosen the bolt.  The bolt is safety wired but its still a pain to have to tighten the bolt after 10 hrs of flying.  Others have experienced the same thing.  So I found the Plane-Power 70amp kit at Chief Aircraft Inc, (ChiefAircraft.com).  There is another website that advertises a 70amp kit,  NationalAirparts.com.  I chose the 70amp because the 50amp could not handle both landing lights, strobe, and pitot heat, at the same time while lowering the gear.  I have the 0-470G with a fresh overhaul and fresh overhauled prop.  I also have to replace my ammeter because the shunt behind the gauge will not handle the 70amp alternator, along with the wiring.  

Tail Winds,

Gary Schnakenberg

N7926D

H35

ABS#47364