Author Topic: LED landing light  (Read 11466 times)

William Allen

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2010, 01:17:54 AM »
Of course -- my landing light just went out -- again.  Has anyone actually installed the Teledyne Alphabeam -- I know Aircraft Spruce is advertising them but I don't know if they have shipped any yet.  Has anyone out there used one yet -- any feedback on it?  It looks like great thing.

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 12:20:04 PM »
Whelen also makes a PAR 36 replacement for both the landing and taxi lights. The taxi light has a wider beam, 40 degrees if I remember correctly. They are available now and a bit cheaper than the TCM brand.

I have seen neither, so I cannot comment on the performance of either.Tracy Ryan2010-07-03 20:20:46

Ron Hensley

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 01:17:14 PM »
The Teledyne Alphabeam is now PMA'd and available for purchase at:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/teledynelandinglight.php

I think that Aircraft Spruce will price match any other lower advertised price that you may find on it.

Regards,

RonRon Hensley2010-11-28 20:20:52

Mike Thompson

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2010, 10:28:01 AM »
We installed the Whelan LED landing lights in a Baron in October - right after the STC was printed.  Basic bolt-in, polarity sensitive installation.  Currently only available for the 'little' lights, not the ones we have in the leading edges of our Bonanza wings.

Steve Morton

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 12:29:34 PM »
I installed the Whelen Parmetheus LED PAR 36 replacement and like the ability to leave it on without current draw concerns but I am not impressed with its output.  I was hoping for a significant improvement over a PAR 36 but it doesn't seem to achieve that to my eye.  Specs on light can be very difficult to evaluate since you eye sensitivity to a light wavelength varies so a halogen with a wide spectrum of light output but lower lumen may appear more visible than a narrow spectrum LED higher lumen bulb to some.  The best way to evaluate is to find someone who already made the purchase and go see how it looks in operation.  I do like the lower current draw that helps my 12V system maintain voltage at lower rpm's and the inherent reliability of an LED.  Whelen now has an STC for this bulb that covers a long list of airplanes.  Aircraft Spruce has them for $220

Carleton Waldrop

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:11:43 AM »
I know the subject is LEDs, but Aviation Research Systems, Inc. switched my aircraft to halogens when my Pulse Light mod was installed a couple of years ago.  I've been quite impressed with the reduced current requirement and the illumination of the runway during night approaches.  

On a related note, our airport (KPUW) was an FAA test site for LED taxiway lights.  We just loved the quality of the light, but the failure rate was so high on the individual lights, that the entire system had to be removed and replaced after only a year of operation.  It was a heat issue that created the failures and heat dissipation may subsequently be an issue for enclosed case aircraft LED landing lights.

Barney Waldrop

Pullman, WA

Scott Marshall

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
I have three 35w HID landing lights. One in the nose and one on each gear leg. They are so much more powerful than incandescent or halogen that even though scenes will appear better lit by incandescent/halogen lamps of equal light output, these HID bulbs by far outperform them. How can I be sure? I still have the 250w incandescent lamp on the nose gear. There will be LED lights coming that will equal or exceed other light sources in efficiency and brightness soon. I do not know when they will be available in the PAR 36 form factor. Right now, metal halide are the best considering brightness, cost and life expectancy. If you do not need as much light LED's are a good choice. No need for any power supplies or modified wiring and they will fit anywhere a PAR 36 will.

David Field

• ABS Member
LED landing light
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 09:59:47 PM »
I have installed the Teledyne Alphabeam in both landing and taxi positions.  It casts better light in the taxi position than the 4313's and about the same in the landing position.  Simple install however you will need to remove the taxi light bracket to install.