Author Topic: Flight planning  (Read 2575 times)

John Lucas

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:42:17 PM »
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good flight planning websites out there. Currently, I use AirNav to get started and then either Flightplan.com or AOPA's software to produce the actual flight plan. These sites provide pretty good service, but I'm wondering if there is anything that tops them.

John

Don Lawton

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »
John,

You mentioned AOPA's "software". Are you aware of their new web-based product? It's still in beta, but they appear to be trying to answer the calls for improvement.

http://www.aopa.org/aifp

Dick Druschel

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:05:19 AM »
John,

I have been using the CSC Duats Golden Eagle Flight Planner (the free version). I used it to and from Alaska in 2007 and the ABS Convention in Wichita. Winds, speeds, fuel burn and times were very accurate. AOPA seems to have problems with winds, weather and airports in the upper portions of Canada. And, the rubber band feature in Golden Eagle is great for moving segments of the flight plan around TFRs and the like.

Dick

Larry Hirsh

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:02 AM »
enflight.com is excellent.

Hal Hayden

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 02:30:53 AM »
I've been using Flitesoft for several years and love it.  It costs around $100/year to keep the subscription current, but it's well worth it.  It provides everything - including W&B, weather, best fuel stops and filing  - all in one tool.

Hal Hayden

Zachary Armstrong

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 01:58:19 PM »
Before the competitors came out, I bought (and still use) Jeppesen's Flight Star software.  It is VERY user friendly, and after inputing the numbers from the POH, it makes flight planning a snap, calculates everything, prints out the flight log, and even lists freq changes.  

I have been very pleased with it, and can plan on my trips taking within 5 min of the legs listed on the FS program.  Overall, it is expensive, but well worth it.

Larry Hirsh

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:53:59 AM »
I've used www.enflight.com for several years and it is quite good.  AOPA's web based flight planner also looks good but I haven't used it too much yet as I'm used to enflight.

Wayne Powell

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 02:14:27 AM »
I use the AOPA free service regularly and like it.  It's great for overall planning.  I do not use the electronic filing feature, though.   I haven't figured out how to get it to accept departure procedures without putting in each fix, so I just call to file.

I also don't use the weather feature, preferring to use ADDS and AOPA's services.

Gerald Cross

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 11:39:52 AM »
Check out Seattle Avionics new Voyager 4 version. The basic is free and has weather overlay as well and couples with Google Earth. The website is SeattleAvionics.com

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »

Dave McGee

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2009, 01:41:16 PM »
AOPA's new Jepp's Flight Planner is great!

Bill Woody

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2009, 02:24:56 PM »
For those of you with an IPhone, there is a new app by ForeFlight that you might want to check out.  It allows you to download Approach Plates, IFR and VFR charts, Airport and taxi diagrams.  It has a flight planning and filing section, provides weather briefing, weather chart overlays and a lot of other features that very useful for flight planning.

While the approach charts shown on an IPhone screen are quite small, you could use them in a pinch by zooming in on each segment of the approach, and leaving it on either the plan view, or section view, whichever you prefer. It provides a convenient and easy tool to brief DP's and Approaches, prior to leaving for the airport.  The first month is free, and to order with updates, etc., for a year is only about $75.00

Bill Woody

• ABS Member
Flight planning
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
Go to ForeFlight.com to check it out.  On the home page are videos that explain how to use the different functions on your iPhone.