Author Topic: Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation  (Read 13287 times)

Robert Schiffenhaus

• ABS Member
Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation
« Reply #150 on: August 20, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »
YES!

John Mills

• ABS Member
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2010, 06:32:32 PM »
Yes.

Kent Ewing

• ABS Member
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2010, 06:54:59 PM »
Yes.  I like the ERAU approach for future endeavor.   However, due to sunk cost and glacial progress with ACO and Small A/C Directorate I strongly urge the board to move the project to higher authority within the FAA.   Upper level managers need to be enlightened as to the lugubrious process and expense caused thus far.

Kent Ewing

Bob Coffman

• ABS Member
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2010, 12:37:00 AM »
Yes, the project should be carried to completion.  Thank you for numerating the pro and con arguments.  The need to know with the highest degree of certainty, the potential or lack thereof of this failure mechanism of a critical structural component, in other words the safety aspect - should outweigh the financial aspect.  Additionally, maintaining the credibility of the association as well as it's relevance to the decision making process, is in the best long term interest of the membership.  It may be a little pricey in the short term, but it will pay dividends on the long run, maybe on the next issue around the corner that affects the entire fleet.  I normally don't include my entire signature block, as I can not bind my association, but if there is anything I can do personally to help - please let me know.   

Bob Coffman,

Chairman, Government Affairs,

Allied Pilots Association,

representing the pilots of American Airlines.

Gary Davis

• ABS Member
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:41 AM »
YES, completing the project is very important. Not only to ABS and the ABS membership, but to all GA aircraft owners. Safey is first priority. We have just begun the "aging aircraft" journey and this study, if completed, will be the gold standard going forward.

Finishing the job is also the only option for ABS from a credibility standpoint.  

Gary Davis

M-35

N9867R

Arnie Guida

• ABS Member
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2010, 03:01:36 AM »
Mr. Braly pointed out to me that there might be confusion in the web link I provided. I apologize for any confusion.

That website is laid out in a fashion that is difficult to provide references to.

If someone else can shed some light on how to do it, please do. For now, the best I can do is provide this alphabetical link:

http://skymaster.kjsl.com/pipermail/beech-owners/2006-September/subject.html#start

and say that there are two groupings of messages on this topic.

The first is: "B: Re: new G36/58 -carry-through spar web"  

the second is: "B: Re: Re: new G36/58 -carry-through spar web"

The bottom line in all of this is, what did $320,000 get the ABS?

Apparently not much.

The FAA is going to keep moving the finish line, or as Mr. Braly stated, the FAA will always say, "But what if...?"

No one wants to be the one to say they approved a 50 year old airplane that fell into a school yard full of kids to fly with cracks.

Ain't gonna happen'.

Let's spend future money on a kit to fix the planes with cracks.

I wonder how many kits $320,000 could buy?

Chuck Cox

• ABS Member
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2010, 04:19:29 AM »
Dick Wilson presented evidence that the cracks are occurring in non load bearing structure.  He pointed out that the spar caps are held rigid with 4 thick tie plates.  Dick's material is included in the link below.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dick.wilson/link2.htm

I don't believe the cracks are in load bearing structure.  I'd like to see the analysis completed.

Rich Willis

• ABS Member
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2010, 10:25:39 AM »
There is an old saying: "Finish what you start". This is not only very important to the Bonanza community but to all aviation groups in the business of supporting GA. Will I be able to convience an IA, Insurance Company or a buyer of the AW of my aircraft.

Rich Willis

Stan Schnell

• ABS Member
« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2010, 10:45:50 PM »
I agree "Finish what you start".

N947MT          Stan Schnell

James Brendel

• ABS Member
« Reply #159 on: August 22, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »
Finish it.

Patrick Newton

• ABS Member
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2010, 04:31:17 AM »
Finish it.  Our aircraft has a cracked spar that has not progressed since the original discovery.  

Tom Henderson

• ABS Member
« Reply #161 on: August 22, 2010, 10:32:51 AM »
I voted "Yes" to continue the work.

I'm nervous about ERAU though, as it is not evident to me that they have significant experience performing these kinds of analysis in a way that the FAA will accept.

If ERAU stumbles, pull the plug.

-TH

Thomas Burnett

• ABS Member
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
Yes. Absolutely.  This is one of the most important projects ABS has and I believe is setting a precedent with the FAA in general.

-WB

Philip Schultz

• ABS Member
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2010, 05:42:50 PM »
This is my second note.  After reading most all the comments there appears to be a number of members, and I know a few who have not yet posted, that are very qualified engineers in this field.  I think the board needs to form and listen to an engineering team of members that I think can easily layout and define what and how to finish this project.  The board trying to deceide and contractors responding to RFP's is not the most effective way to get it done.  We are not going to the moon.  This is a stress crack and most good qualified companies faced with this problem would have had an answer, and fix if required, a long time ago.  I must also say I am disapointed with Hawker Beechcraft.

Glen Sparks

• ABS Member
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »
Yes, please continue with the investigation. I have a 1962 P35 and if spending a little now can prevent needless expenditures in the future to maintain my aircraft, I am all for it. I also don't want to see older Bonanzas like mine become grounded maybe permenentaly because someone does not want to spend the money, or cannot afford the repairs.

I do have one concern as brought up in other comments, I want to make sure that ERAU is qualified to perform the analysis and complete the report. If not, we need to look elswhere.