Author Topic: Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation  (Read 13190 times)

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:22:47 AM »
The American Bonanza Society Board of Directors requests your comments on whether to continue the ABS Air Safety Foundation spar web investigation.  Your input will be considered by Board members when they vote on continuation during an ABS Board teleconference on August 24th.  

Even if you have sent your opinion to ABS previously, or posted your views on ABS Hangar Flying or other Beech-related online forums, please respond to this request so your views will be noted by the ABS Board.

Before registering your opinion you might wish to read this overview of the spar web Airworthiness Directive issue and this timeline of the ABS Air Safety Foundation (ABS-ASF) spar web investigation.  

Board members' considerations to support additional funding:

a

Dick Druschel

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:10 AM »
We have come this far let's finish the job. Many of our membership have airplanes that could be affected. We need to get as much protection, information and knowledge as possible. Stop bickering and get it done and done properly.

Dick

Jeffrey Simon

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:10:38 AM »
Finish the job.  This is the most important airworthiness issue we are currently facing.  We need a resolution that we feel is appropriate.  We can't afford to depend on the FAA.

Kevin Clark

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:11:11 AM »
Has the association followed similar investigations T-34 owners have been faced with?  Structurally the airplanes are nearly identical and several permanent fixes have been developed for the T-34 which should also usable on a Bonanza, should the requirement develop.

Kevin Clark

Kirkland, Wash

V-35B N3629A

T-34A N488JF

Alan Leiwant

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:13:48 AM »
Having already gone through repairing one crack on the web, I would like to see the Society finish what they have started.  The repair process is time consuming and expensive.  If a full AD can be avioded, all for the better.Alan Leiwant2010-08-18 12:14:41

Tom Indseth

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 04:24:50 AM »
Although my aircraft is not subject to the AD (G-35), it is one crack away from being included when the time comes.  I favor completing the study. With today's computer technology, a DTR can't be that difficult to produce once and for all.

Susan Wolber

• ABS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:27:37 AM »
Yes finish it!

Joseph Wade

• ABS Member
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 04:29:36 AM »
My Opinion.

Complete the study that has been started.

Post the results of the study up to now in layman's terms.

Do the FEA analysis of the spar area.

Use the FEA and study results to determine if further Engineering/scientific effort is necessary.

I am a design engineer and pilot.

Jamie MacDougall

• ABS Member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:32 AM »
+1.  Finish what has been started.

Adam Bowser

• ABS Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:56 AM »
If we are not going to support issues that potentially could ground members' aircraft, why exist?  This issue needs to be put to rest, with the best possible solution.  The FAA will protect their interests without regard to what we wish, if we are not fully engaged.  Please continue to support the investigation.

Greg Goodknight

• ABS Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2010, 04:36:12 AM »
Why reinvent the wheel when someone has said it so well?

My Opinion.

Complete the study that has been started.

Post the results of the study up to now in laymen's terms.

Do the FEA analysis of the spar area.

Use the FEA and study results to determine if further Engineering/scientific effort is necessary.

I also am a design engineer and pilot.

Paul Lilly

• ABS Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2010, 04:37:52 AM »

Yes - complete it. I have entered my comments from a post in a different thread on HF.  

Quote from: Paul Lilly
I want to see the spar web study successfully completed to the FAA's satisfaction. This means we can keep the current AD regarding cracks, rather than our planes being subject to "no crack" tolerance, requiring an expensive retrofit to many owners. The main reason for our (ABS) existence is to support members planes and flying skills. To be able to have the resources to perform and complete such a study for the benefit of our members is why we exist.

Joseph Palazzi

• ABS Member
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 04:39:41 AM »
Yes, complete the study.  Not to do so would raise a serious creditability issue the FAA.

Roger Hoh

• ABS Member
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 04:44:08 AM »
The spar web investigation is one of the most important programs at ABS.  All Bonanza/Baron owners have a vested interest in a complete understanding of this issue regarding the structural integrity of our airplanes.  I am an active Aeronautical Engineer and test pilot.

Joe Salyer

• ABS Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 04:50:34 AM »
Complete the spar web investigation. To not do so would be very irresponsible.