Author Topic: Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation  (Read 13389 times)

Benjamin Johnson

• ABS Member
Should ABS-ASF Complete the Spar Web Investigation
« Reply #165 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
Yes, the investigation needs to continue. But we need to focus on a solution to the problem

Robert Hellebuyck

• ABS Member
« Reply #166 on: August 23, 2010, 01:45:17 AM »
Why haven't we consulted George Braly on this at all?  He has some valuable info on this topic which might be a good addition to the ongoing academic direction.  

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
« Reply #167 on: August 23, 2010, 02:14:30 AM »

Quote from: Robert Hellebuyck
Why haven't we consulted George Braly on this at all? He has some valuable info on this topic which might be a good addition to the ongoing academic direction.  

We have, Robert.  Most recently, after a long phone conversation with George Braly about two weeks ago, I've asked the ERAU DER to contact George.  GAMI has offered to share some of its information on wing stresses with ERAU.

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
« Reply #168 on: August 23, 2010, 02:24:10 AM »

Quote from: Tom Henderson
I voted "Yes" to continue the work.

I'm nervous about ERAU though, as it is not evident to me that they have significant experience performing these kinds of analysis in a way that the FAA will accept.

If ERAU stumbles, pull the plug.

-TH

Several members have expressed similar sentiments.  ABS approached ERAU (and several other academic institutions) specifically because FAA suggested it as the way to get data it (FAA) will accept.  We took the advice of those who will make the decision.  

Second, if the ABS Board of Directors votes to continue the investigation, the authorization will be to fund ERAU's proposed initial phase of the project, which it estimates at roughly $17,000 (part of the $70,000 total proposed). This initial phase will include assessment of existing data to detemrine what's usable, redesign of the Finite Element Model (an FAA requirement), and recalculation of air loads on the structure (some of GAMI's data, which may be made available to ERAU for this project, could potentially short-cut this process).  At the end of that time we will discuss the data with FAA to see if it meets FAA's approval to that point.  If "no," we're probably done.  If "yes,"  the ABS Board will then have to vote whether authorize the remaining balance based on its confidence that the project will be completed as quoted by ERAU.    

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
« Reply #169 on: August 23, 2010, 03:56:16 AM »

Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2010 8:45 PM

To: ABS Mail

Subject: Re: ABS: Spar Web poll

I was a board member for most of the life of this project.  If we were going to pull the plug on it, we probably should have done it much earlier in in the process.  Hindsight being a wonderful thing...we now are beyond the point where hundreds of thousands of dollars might have been used for other ABS projects.  The money has been put forth for the spar issue and I think it now must move on to a conclusion.  

Charles Davidson,MD

Carlos Vera

• ABS Member
« Reply #170 on: August 23, 2010, 04:34:03 AM »
This is the most important things ABS is doing... Safety...Safety... and Safety....

Please Complete this investigations... My BE36A is affected with this AD

Regards

CV

Pete Lane

• ABS Member
« Reply #171 on: August 23, 2010, 05:20:29 AM »
My Baron is one of the lucky ones to have had the spar web kit installed and it has also been inspected just last month according to the recurrent inspection requirements of the AD. No new cracks were found.  I owned the airplane when we did the repairs and it cost a lot then.  I figured that it was going to be a big problem with the fleet over a certain age limit but from what I have been reading it is not that big a deal and it could have saved me thousands of dollars if we had done the analysis years ago.

Let's complete the examination and give us a report that makes it a simple yes or no.  I would hope that FAA would rescind the AD if it is shown that minor cracks are not an airworthiness issue but since when have they every worried about saving us money!!!

Pete Lane

Chip Chenoweth

• ABS Member
« Reply #172 on: August 23, 2010, 06:42:07 AM »
Tom;

Yes we should finish the Spar Web Investigation. We are too close not to finish, the largest expenditures are done and I believe we would loose credibility with our community, other owner groups (not that important) and the FAA (very important.

Chip Chenoweth

Ron Timmermans

• ABS Member
« Reply #173 on: August 23, 2010, 08:49:35 AM »
Yes, I believe it is important to complete the Spar Web study and deliver some meaningful results.  That said, however, I urge the Board of Directors due caution in describing the scope of work in the contract with the university doing the study.  Researchers are notorious for completing a contract and providing a deliverable which includes a compelling need for additional research and development, i.e. more research work and another study.  This could lead to a continuing spiral of effort without producing a convincing recommendation/solution.  I believe the scope of work can be worded so that the research team understands that their efforts must be complete and conclusive with virtually no possibility of extending or broadening the study in a follow-on effort - only a one time shot at producing conclusive evidence.

I hesitate to get into someone else's business; however, if the Board wishes to have someone with contracting experience review/edit the scope of work, I volunteer.  I'm also perfectly happy to mind my own business and follow the Boards recommendation.  You have my best wishes for success.

Thanks for the opportunity to weigh in on the continuation of the study,

Ron Timmermans......

John Wilson

• ABS Member
« Reply #174 on: August 23, 2010, 12:00:10 PM »
Yes, images of an ultimately non-productive financial black hole are conjured up by the fact that $360K has already been spent a

Henry Faulkner

• ABS Member
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2010, 06:46:00 AM »
Continue the investigation.

Frank Haile

• ABS Member
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
I vote to continue the ASF Investigation of the spar web.

Duane Beland

• ABS Member
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2010, 08:37:00 AM »
I support the continued work on the Spar Web AD project. I believe that forming a partnership with ERAU will be beneficial to both parties. I  also believe that it is to our advantage to have input to the FAA decisions. I recognize that there is a risk that the FAA will make a decision that may conflict with ABS members needs but it is a risk that exists no matter what action ABS may take.

Therefore, I vote in support of ABS continued participation in the Spar Web project.

Duane Beland CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Kim Caldwell

• ABS Member
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2010, 02:01:00 PM »
Please continue the effort to finish the spar web investigation. I ABS doesn't do it, who will, on behalf of Bonanza owners and more generally, owners of aging aircraft.

Kim Caldwell

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  The ABS Board has voted to fund the $17,000 initial phase of the proposed study by Embry Riddle Aeronautical University's   EagleWorks Engineering Research Center, using funds from the safety research-dedicated  Manuel Maciel bequest.

Watch ABS NEWS and ABS Hangar Flying for further updates.