Author Topic: Charging System Issue  (Read 805 times)

Franz Edson

• ABS Member
Charging System Issue
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:35:03 PM »

I have a 1970 V35B (D9139) that has a charging problem.  A few months ago, after about an hour of gradually increasing radio and transponder noise (including noise that sounds like rain on the fuselage), my voltmeter suddenly went to about 11.5 volts, and my ammeter showed about two needles worth of discharge.  Cycling the alternator switch caused the noise to stop, but did not solve the charging problem.  The a

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
Charging System Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:17 PM »
Franz, if its a Kelly Aerospace alternator, first thing to check is the alternator. Service experience indicates they last between 0 and 500 hours, max. Next thing you need to do is go to the Zeftronics web page and download an appropriate copy of their excellent charging system trouble shooting guide. It will take you through the process step by step.

Franz Edson

• ABS Member
Charging System Issue
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 02:09:21 AM »
Just an update;

I flew to my A&P to have them look at the charging system, as you'd expect, there were no charging system issues on the flight up.....everything was nominal.  After several attempts to solve the problem, all they found was a defective "Alt Out" circuit, which was subsequently repaired.  They indicated it may be the master circuit breaker (by the pilot's right leg on the side of the center console), but that checked out OK as well.

So I'm still left with this mysterious problem.