Author Topic: BRRRRRRRRRR  (Read 2483 times)

Jack Cassada

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« on: January 01, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
I just reviewed the posts for a cold cabin. I couldn't find an answer,...so help me please! We just returned from a trip from San Diego St Paul, MN. We had no heat problems going out, but as we got back into the frozen north last nite it was almost impossible to keep warm. The OAT was 20, the heat was full on in front, rear and defrost. We could feel heat coming out behind us, but when I would turn my head to the right, I could feel a nasty cold draft coming forward from the rear and hitting me on the face. Any idea how this would occur? (Also as a side note, it seems like the heating capabilities diminish when all controls are requesting full hot. There is noticebly less air coming thru the defroster, etc.). I am pulling all the floor boards up next week to make sure all is good there.

Brian Conley

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 05:49:29 PM »
Jack,

I have a friend in Sioux Falls that has owned 3 Bonanzas. He said they have always been cold...mine is too. We carry blankets. Have looked at and done everything except all new insulation.

If no one is in the back seat,close that vent it helps in the front.Brian Conley2009-01-02 00:49:51

Jack Cassada

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 02:48:08 AM »
I have flown this in 4 winters before in colder temps and have not had this problem. Maybe this thing just realized it"s a bonanza! I've got a few more trips planned in the next 2 months,...I'll just experiment and see what I can find out! I'm going to check on the flame cone today when I change the oil. Then the floorboards are coming out next.

Happy new year

Jack Cassada

Brian Conley

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 05:55:13 PM »
Jack,

During the last annual I found a hole in the scat hose that feeds air to the heat exchanger on the muffler shroud. The cowl flap linkage had rubbed a hole in it. We replaced the hose and rerouted it away from the linkage. Brought inside temp up slightly. Check that.

Also LPS 1 the slide on the cabin mixing valve and be sure it is making full travel,give the inside and outside control cables a shot of lube too. Have someone operate it while you watch it. It is probably on the right side firewall like our 1969.

Jack Cassada

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 03:19:07 PM »
Thanks Brian,

I am in Lima Peru right now, but when I return on Frdiay nite, I will get on this! Thanks for your advice, it's always welcome.

Jack

Gary Strong

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:45:19 PM »
Jack,

I didn't have this issue in my Bonanza so I can't comment with direct information.  However I've heard if the leather boot that goes around the gear retract rod where it enters the fuselage is torn, it creates a lot of pressure in the tail that causes cold air from the back.  On the old hanger flying, there was a person that spent quite a bit of time figuring out the same issue you have, and I think that's what he ended up with.

Gary

Jack Cassada

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
Thanks Gary, that sure sounds like the problem, 'cause it's not just cold, but there is actually a fairly strong current of cold air moving from the aft forward thru the cabin. I'll take a look next week after I get back from meeting my new grandson.

Jack

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 01:28:12 PM »
Regarding the boots around the retract rods.

In my experience, the boots around the retract rods did not cause a problem until the gear was down.   Then it would get cold in the cabin.  With the gear up, there was little problem (my airplane is a K35).

When I put new covers on, it really helped.  I got mine from Denise in Florida.  Nice work.  Check it out in the ABS magazine.

I would confirm that the heater duct is actually carrying heat to the cabin.  Sometimes, it is accidently knocked off during a check of the spar.   

If there is a hole in the duct, that would not help either.   

Another thought would be your air intake from the aft vent cannot be shut off.  I mean that the cold air hitting your face suggest that there is something disconnected from the cold air intake which then permits cold air to come into the cabin in an uncontrolled fashion from above the headliner.

You mentioned that is used to be warm. Thus, something is amiss.

TomTom Pelz2009-01-06 20:32:15

Jack Cassada

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 03:48:44 AM »
Thanks Tom,

I have a new grandson to see this coming week, STP to PaxRiver Maryland, so I should be able to trouble shoot a little more on the way. After I reutrn the floorboards, et al are coming out to see if I can find something. I need to replace my covers so Denise will be getting a call,....it's something that was lower on my "list" but has just moved to the top.

Jack Cassada

Larry Hirsh

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 07:51:51 AM »
I used to have that problem in my Baron 58, but not in my V-35B previous.  I've since bought a 58P and if pressurization gives you one thing, it's usually warm.  Not much help but at least a solution I found.

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:30:22 PM »
I almost froze my family during a winter trip to Ohio, not long after I got my G35. After I got everyone home alive, I started chasing the problem. I found that most of the scat tubing from the ram air duct to the heater mix box and back into the cabin was old and rotten. Some of these parts have flanges molded onto them and some are specially formed into shapes to fit around aircraft structure. I replaced what I could and carefully repaired the rest with RTV108. This made a huge difference, although the heat to the back seat is still marginal.

Mike Thompson

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
If this is a new event, it may be the baggage door seal has lost it's position.  If it's loose, air could be entering and blowing forward.

Henry Valentino

• ABS Member
BRRRRRRRRRR
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 03:12:16 PM »
I have just the opposite problem as the one described in this thread.  I just purchased a D35 53 and on the maiden flight the cabin became very hot.  It was as if the cabin heat was stuck on.  The engine temps all were in the green, but the cabin became very warm.  I tried pulling out the cabin heat lever, and putting it back in, but it did not work.  I was able to cool myself a little with the ceiling drafts.  Any suggestions on what to check ?