Author Topic: Flying to Belize  (Read 660 times)

Alan Crawford

• ABS Member
Flying to Belize
« on: October 23, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
Trying to get some info for a flight jumping off from Texas (Brownsville) to Belize MZBZ ... can't find much on the internet ... if anyone has made the flight ... please send me an email alan@tstar.net Blue Skies ...

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
Flying to Belize
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:34:54 AM »
We used to fly there every year, but that was back in the 70's when it was still British Honduras. At the time it was an easy in and out. No hassels. I would imagine that it's not much different today given the popularity of it with travelers.

I would contact AOPA. They should be able to assist you with everything that's needed.

Alan Crawford

• ABS Member
Flying to Belize
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 04:13:26 AM »
I sent a meesage to AOPA ... just had not gotten a response yet ... the more info the better ... Blue Skies ... Alan   

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
Flying to Belize
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:46:44 PM »
I've always had problems emailing AOPA so I started calling them anytime I need them.

We always stayed out on Ambergris Cay in the town of San Pedro. At the time the "resort", HAH, was 6 huts and a small dining building. But it was the best time I'd ever had. Outstanding fishing, diving and the food was fantastic. We caught it, they prepared it.

The airport, if you could call it that, was a part time airport and full time soccer field with an old building at the north end of it. Now it's a real airport with an asphalt runway. The last couple of times we were there, 1977/78, Guatemalla and Honduras we not too neighborly with each other and the occasional surface to surface rocket would stray over towards Belize City and hit the airport. Accidentally of course.

Now, it's nothing but hotels from one end of the town to the other and the party runs 24x7x365. Not my cup of tea. Maybe there's some not so developed locations on the north end of the Cay.

Lot's of interesting times and memories there, and more fun than I've had since.