Author Topic: Inflight internet  (Read 2007 times)

Robert Foster

• ABS Member
Inflight internet
« on: November 18, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
I have all the works garmin 430 waas and a 696 with weather. but I would like to access the aviation weather channel real time in the air. Is there such a thing? please be simple. if it involves any type of phone service(and hardware) its probably cost okay. But I can't afford a satellite inboard hardware system.

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
Inflight internet
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »
I have a Motorola Droid on the Verizon system and can get weather updates if I want but there's noting I can get online that I can't get with my XM.   What is it you're missing?

Alan Levin

• ABS Member
Inflight internet
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »
I can access cellphone coverage most of the time, so I use my iPad to access the web (through Safari).

The "WingX" app is VERY helpful as well.

-Alan Levin

B36TC,  N3235T

Mel Mason

• ABS Member
Inflight internet
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
Alan:

I don't seem to have your luck in accessing cell coverage in the air. Where are you located and up to what altitude can you access cell coverage? Also, are you concerned that do so might violate the FCC's ban on cell phone usage in the air?

Mel Mason

B36TC

N6728F

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
Inflight internet
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 07:28:15 AM »
I could not possibly care less about the legality of it.  Today's phones are not cell phones anyways.  I get up to 13.5 on my cross countries and have coverage there.  I am with Verizon and am using a Droid.