Author Topic: open door in flight  (Read 1619 times)

Alan Levin

• ABS Member
open door in flight
« on: December 06, 2010, 10:18:29 AM »
Hi.

Had my right side front door pop open in flight (after flying an hour, ran into turbulence - IMC).

Door was impossible to pull shut and latch. Fortunately no one else aboard.

Unfortunately, had my favorite leather flying jacket hanging on the right seat back and it flew out.

Had to land, close the door and continue on.

Question: would opening the pilot-side window have made it easier to close the door by equalizing

the air pressure?

Thanks in advance.

-Alan Levin

B36TC  N3235T

alanlevin@aol.com

Mike Bland

• ABS Member
open door in flight
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 12:31:12 PM »
Opening the vent window helps, but it is still very difficult to close in flight.  I would not recommend trying to close the door in flight.  People have crashed trying to do this.

Steve Morton

• ABS Member
open door in flight
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:40:21 AM »
Looks like you have to take a look at the latch adjustment if it popped after being secured.  One of my pre-takeoff checks is I punch the door top so see if it will pop open, thus making as sure as I can it won't pop open in flight.  As the prior post said, it is nearly impossible to close in flight.

Bill Woody

• ABS Member
open door in flight
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:14:20 AM »
Agree with you Steve.  In addition to punching the top of the door, I have a vent window installed on the right side as well as the left side.  My wife, who flies with me most of the time, keeps a small mirror in the glove box, and checks the exterior handle to make sure it is completely in the closed position.  I even do that when I fly alone.

Paul Hekman

• ABS Member
Re: open door in flight
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:41:36 PM »
It's also a good idea to keep the right seat belt latched if not being used.  If it get sucked out of the open door, it can do quite a bit of damage banging around in the slipstream.

Marvin Levine

• ABS Member
Re: open door in flight
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:22 AM »
DO NOT attempt to close the door in flight unless you have a passenger in the right seat to do it [slow flight and vent window open].  Otherwise, turn up the radio volume and continue.  It is safe to fly with the door ajar, abit annoying, abit wet, but not dangerous.  If you're close to your destination, go for it.  If not or if your passengers are nervous, land ASAP and close it. Pounding on the top of the door, with your fist, will pop it open if it's not properly latched. Done every time I lock that door. I'm always surprised when it opens --ON THE GROUND.