Author Topic: Vernier Thottle on Bonanza  (Read 2078 times)

Chuck Waldrop

• ABS Member
Vernier Thottle on Bonanza
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:47:05 PM »
I was checking out a pilot in my Bonanza this weekend, a high time pilot with no Bonanza time, I noticed he tended to palm the vernier knob with the pad of the right hand with the fingers extended toward the panel as if using a cessna throttle. I always advance the throttle with the index and second fingers around the knob and using the thumb to release the vernier control and advance the throttle. I questioned if you could properly work the vernier knob with the palm.

I would like some feed back from some of you more experienced Bonanza pilots.

Thanks

Chuckphx2@yahoo.com  

Chuck Waldrop

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »
Throttle not Thottle

Chuck

Wayne Powell

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
I almost never disengage the vernier.  I just crank it in quickly on departure.  The engine doesn't like rapid power changes, so I use the relatively slow process of cranking the knob.

Paul Lilly

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »
It is all a matter of individual pilot technique. I only disengage the vernier control (on throttle, prop or mixture) when I am going full forward with the control, and I do it smoothly. Throttle on take off and go around, Prop and Mixture on approach to landing. Any other time, I am shooting for a value on a gauge and am much more precise with the vernier control. I find that best for instrument flying too. When I am in IMC I am never making rapid changes. That's just my technique.

Robert Hardcopf

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 01:48:09 AM »
I have always used the palm method. Allows more precise control of the throttle, at least for me. Use what ever works or gives the control that you need.

Lew Gage

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 06:31:53 AM »
My own thoughts about the vernier throttle on Bonanzas are that it is the most useless type of control for operation of the engine power setting. The early airplanes had a vernier throttle and a push pull mixture. It should have been the other way around.

Operation of the vernier throttle, in my opionion, is best done with the thumb and middle finger gripping the knob, the index finger extended against the throttle attaching nut to act as a "regulator" of throttle knob rate of movement and the vernier released with the inside of the knuckle of the ring finger.

This allows the pilot to make power changes as necessary, both in total movement and speed of movement very smoothly.

I had an article on this subject in the ABS Magazine in the January 1998 issue on page 5081. The article has a picture of the position of the hand and a description of usage of that position. When I am flying my G-35 and my hand is on the throttle knob it just assumes that position as easy as pie.

I looked up the article on the ABS web site and the picture is clear enough to show the hand position. The ABS Reference Library CD picture and text is very good and easy to see. The hand in the picture is rotated about 120 degrees clockwise to better show the position of the fingers. When sitting in the left seat the "regulating index finger" is at about the two o'clock spot on the nut.  

Now everyone has an opionion, and that is mine.

Regards,  Lew Gage