Author Topic: GPS addition  (Read 587 times)

Walter Henson

• ABS Member
GPS addition
« on: December 11, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
My airplane does not have any type of on-board GPS. I am wanting to start working on my IFR and was wondering what would be the most cost effective addition. I was thinking about a 430W and was wondering what other people thought.

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
GPS addition
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 06:49:49 AM »
Walter,

When I upgraded to my 430W, I gained some panel space because I removed my ADF.  This also allowed me to create a slot in the instrument stack which permits me to store sectionals.

I kept my King 155/gs, but do not use it as much as I use the Garmin 430W.  

I kept my DME and audio panel and transponder.

I did add the GDL 69 which permits me to have the weather on my 430W.  This has literally saved my butt a few times because I know whet I am headed into.   

Depending upon your home base, the 430W will open up a number of airports you could not get into without the WAAS on an instrument flight.

The WAAS approach will also make your ILS easier.  Using the WAAS in addition to your ILS has made my transitions much smoother.

It is an amazing Nav/com.

After I had mine installed, I contacted the instructor I use. I told him that I wanted to go fly with him for a while because the WAAS made me nervous.  I told him that it was too easy.

After about four hours of flying and ground work, he asked me how thought about it now.  I said that it was still too easy.  He said, "You are correct.  It really is easy".

In addition, you will find that holding patterns are no longer a big deal.  Nor are DME arc approaches.

Tom

Tom Pelz2010-12-11 13:51:12

Chuck Waldrop

• ABS Member
GPS addition
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
I think the W430 is the gold standard. It does it all. I would encourage you to get a GPSS installed as well, marginal now, but when you complete your instrument training you will will really apreciate the way it works with the autopilot and the W430.

Chuck Waldrop

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
GPS addition
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 11:38:19 AM »
Walter,

You might be considering a reduced cost alternative to the installation of the Garmin 430W, such as a Garmin 496.

This may help you with your training.  However, it is not a legal option.  

On the other hand, if your travels rarely involve rural airports (ie those with the only approaches are WAAS based GPS), then a panel mounted GPS may provide you with a less expensive means of obtaining GPS precision.

Tom

Jimmy Borger

• ABS Member
GPS addition
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
I went with the King KLN94 as it was much cheaper.  If you jut have to have a WAAS unit then look elsewhere.  I use the Garmin 430W and 500W at work and they're good units but I already had nav-coms in my plane so I couldn't see buying a GPS with those built in.  If I had been doing a complete panel upgrade that may have been the way to go.

The KLN94 is simple to use and easy to learn.  GPS is definitely the way to go VFR or IFR.  I recently filed IFR direct to a destination almost 1,100 nm away and got that clearance.