Author Topic: clock  (Read 852 times)

John Lippert

• ABS Member
clock
« on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:49 PM »
The panel clock in my A 36, electric and analague, acts like it is thinking of dying. Am I correct that this is an obligatory item, and does anybody have replacement or repair recommendations?  Thanks in advance.

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 02:30:01 AM »
The FAR's do require a clock for IFR flight only. But, it does not specify that it must be affixed in the intstrument panel. Although that is the best location for it. We use the Davtron M877 clock in ours and can highly recommend it. We used to have a mechanical clock many years ago, but it was never very good at keeping time and the cost of having it worked on was just too high.

A

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:40:55 AM »
John,

I have two in my Bonanza.  

I have the Davtron like that mentioned by Tracy.   I like the digital for up and down counting.

On the other hand, I have a analog clock because I can tell what time it is faster with the analog than I can with the digital.  

I have both set for GMT.

Tom

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 10:48:35 AM »
I bought a Davtron battery powered digital clock/timer that fits in the Bonanza yoke bezel from Aircraft Spruce for around $130. It runs for years on a single AA battery. I change the AA battery every annual and it doesn't run the aircraft battery down when the bird isn't flown.

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 04:01:02 PM »
My Davtron digital clock/timer is connected to the aircraft power (via fuse).  However, I have a on/off switch connected to a 9V battery for illumination at night.  This permits the device to have night illumination without draining the aircraft battery, should I forget to turn off the illumination light.

Tom

Chuck Waldrop

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 09:59:50 PM »
I have the Davtron panel mounted as well and it is battery powered with the light hooked to the dimmer for panel lighting. I have it in the twenty four hour mode and set to Zulu time. A very unit

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
clock
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 03:30:37 AM »
Our clock lighting is connected to the instrument dimmer, with the clock keep-alive connected to the battery through a fuse. We have never had the clock affect the batterys ability to start the engine even after a long period of inactivity.

If you use the aircraft battery for the keep-alive, DO NOT install the AA battery on the back of the M877. But you can put one in prior to disconnecting the aircraft battery for maintenance as long as you remove it immediately after reinstalling it back in the aircraft.