Author Topic: Initial multi engine training  (Read 1593 times)

Mike Corcoran

• ABS Member
Initial multi engine training
« on: February 13, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »
Does anyone have any advice and/or recommendations on where to get mult engine initial training. I am located south of Chicago but would travel anywhere to get appropriate training. Specifically does anyone have any experience with some of the accelerated programs?

Thanks

Mike Corcoran

Brian Conley

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
If you have the time...go somewhere warm!

Gary Strong

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 07:53:08 AM »
Mike

I agree on the someplace warm from not just a nice to be out of the winter idea, but also from an ability to get in more flying time.  I have not heard any bad things about the 3 day courses, but I believe to be really proficient it takes longer than that.  I took about a month to get my multi in my Baron, flying 2 - 3 times per week.  I ended up with about 27 hrs before taking my checkride.  

I see advertised 7 to 10 hours and not that you couldn't do it, I'm just not sure I would have been comfortable with that few of hours.  While you could learn what it takes to pass the check ride, I wanted more time to be truly proficient.  The nice part is that since many insurance companies want several hours of dual or charge a ton, my insurance company didn't require anything and my rate was reasonable (although I did have 700 hrs retract before owning the Baron).

Gary

Mike Corcoran

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:04:12 AM »
Gary,

I appreciate your input. Kind of a dliemma.......insurance wants me to have "the ticket" before I get in whatever plane I might buy. I would rather buy whatever plane I might be flying and get my training in that bird!?! I have no problem getting as much dual time as they want.........whatever I am flying I want to make damn sure I am safe and competent. Advice seems to be get your ticket make the insurance company happy then get specific training including flightsafety, simcom........lots of dual in the plane you want to fly/own. I am currently looking at a 3 day program in Groton, CT. Has anyone else had any experience with this program? several friends of mine have gone that direction........

Thanks

Mike

Tom Nelson

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Quick and warm try shebleaviation.com in Kingman AZ they use a Travelair

Rodney French

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 07:10:41 AM »
Try Chris Hester (Flight Deck Aviation) in Panama City.  i took my commercial there.  Very professional, warm weather, and an active environment.

http://flightdeckaviation.com/

Rodney French