Author Topic: insurance check out  (Read 1353 times)

Richard Veach

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:53:56 AM »
Does anyone know what is requred for an insuranc required checkout?  I suppose insurance companies could require different checkouts  

Don Lawton

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
If the insurance company doesn't specifically say what's required, then it's probably a "safe for solo" by your CFI. That's all I've ever experienced. Make some phone calls to insurance brokers.

Richard Veach

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »
Thanks Don, I'll check with my insurance co. tomorrow.  I am a CFI and I was wondering what I would need to do to provide a proper check out for an insurance co.

Don Lawton

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 12:18:19 PM »
RPV,

Here is a good starting point - from the horse's a$$...er, mouth.

This has been superseded by the Airplane Flying Handbook.Don Lawton2011-02-20 19:21:01

Eric Iversen

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 01:10:47 PM »

Quote from: Richard Veach
Does anyone know what is requred for an insuranc required checkout?  I suppose insurance companies could require different checkouts  

FWIW:  When I bought my Deb last year I was a 150 hour Private Pilot, strictly VFR, no Complex, no High Performance.

Insurance required 20 hours dual with 25 T/O & landings,  5 hours instrument, Retractable Gear sign-off.  Additional 5 hours solo before carrying passengers.  All this administered by a CFII with:

1000 PIC

250 retract

25 in make/model

I was happy to get the training by a great local instructor (Jay Mason) that specializes in Beech transition training.

EDIT -- For the record: I am only insuring the hull for what I paid for it ($36K), with liability at $1Mil/$100K per person.  First year was $1900.  This year it was $1600 with 70 hours in type.  Aircraft and Marine Assurance Company (http://www.aircraftandmarine.com).  They treated me like a million dollar customer for my little put-put plane. I love 'em .-- Eric Iversen2011-04-10 20:03:51

Todd Makiyama

• ABS Member
insurance check out
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
FWIW a second time, I was a 100 hr private pilot with my tailwheel, but no complex, hi performance.

My Insurance wanted 25 hrs with an appropriate CFI (CFI had to have 25 hours in make/model, 1000 hrs with out incident, 250 retract).

Recommendation for you.  Only Lloyds would insure me - and it wasn't cheap.  $5800/yr.  Ins. guy said here's your homework.... "Fly like *u*k.  You can either gain time or pay for another $6k again next year.  I'd rather fly..."  He stated that only one insurer would cover a novice pilot in an aircraft like mine - one insurer means they charge what they please.  Gaining time, better an instrument rating, would really drop my rates to somewhere north of $1k.

I did what they guy said, did 150 hrs in 9 months.  At 250 hrs, I cancelled my policy, got the refund for what was left, and the refund paid for the next 12 months of my new policy.  Was told finishing my instrument along with other stuff like WINGS and maybe ABS Aviator stuff might even drop my premium more at renewal.

Hope that helps.  Good luck!Todd Makiyama2011-04-09 22:33:04