Author Topic: Emergency Parachute Exit From A-36  (Read 4585 times)

Spencer Lane

• ABS Member
Emergency Parachute Exit From A-36
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 04:04:28 AM »
Bob, For many years I flew my 1975 A-36 (then new) from my NY office to my LA office with a parachute

on the Co-pilot seat which I could strap on in under 10 seconds. My plan was to trim the A-36 for level

flight at 80-90 KIAS with AP engaged, crack the door open, and use my crouched body to push the door open sufficiently to roll out onto the wing and roll off in the event of an engine failure at night or in IMC. I often called my chute my low-cost second Engine, and have no doubt that at those low airspeeds this could be done successfully. Upgrading years later to a 58P Baron my operating expenses more than doubled.

Spencer Lane ABS# 9767 2005 A-36

Spruce Creek Fly-In, 7FL6 (386) 788-0780

Michael McNamara

• ABS Member
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 05:16:44 AM »
I have over 4000 jumps, everything from a hot air baloon to a Bboeing 727.

I own a 1965 Debonair.

I would not consider jumping out of a Bonanza as a good answer to an emergency.

Having said that, you really can't get out of the side door in flight.  Even if you managed to get it slow enough & are strong enough to push the door against the wind, you'd likely get hung up on something.  NG.

The emergency exit is too small to use with a rig on.  NG.

The 36, is, of course, approved for jumping.  Open the rear door, exit the aircraft.

John Lockhart

• ABS Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 03:45:06 AM »
Bob,  Great subject...  I work in AZ and live in CO and fly between all the time.  I sold my (half) of a 58TC and bought a V35A (TC).  It is a great bird - it burns 1/2 the fuel of the 58TC but is not as fast.  I have lived in AZ since '95 and continue to be amazed at the terrain.  I fly over the San Juan's (SW CO) and have plenty of options if something were to burp - but, in flying over parts of AZ I have far less options.  I have flown over this stuff at night but I don't like it, my chances of survival (in the event of an engine failure) would be quite low in some of these places (not my best decision making).  IMC is also tough and I have found much more ice in AZ than in years of flying in Northern IL winters.   Anyhow - I feel your pain.  I just work to stick with daytime VFR and also try to practice short-fields & engine-outs often.  Personally, I'd stay in the airplane down to the ground in any situation.  Best - john