Author Topic: LED & New Technology Landing Lights  (Read 4110 times)

David Shaw

• ABS Member
LED & New Technology Landing Lights
« on: April 01, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »
A number of solid state and "technically advanced" incandescent landing light bulbs are on the market and applicable to various Bonanza models.

Who knows what about applicability to the 12 and 24 volt Bonanzas and how they really perform?  A related question is the FAA paperwork involved (STC, 337,...).  For those of us with E-series Bonanzas, the lower current drain is atractive because it can keep the ammetr out of the red, but are there pitfalls?

John Eustis

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 10:59:11 AM »
I tried to have  LED's installed in the landing light positions in my F-35   during my recent annual.  No dice, no  STC for that model.  I could have fought it through for a 337, but too much trouble.  But if the landing light is in the nose bowl apparently the paper work exists.  Sorry about that

John Eustis

ABS 646.

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 11:21:35 AM »
Aero LEDs is working on PAR 36 and 46 drop in replacements lamps. You might check with them and see what their estimated delivery date is.

Keith Gleason

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 11:32:03 AM »
I can tell you this about my new LED landing light.  I was landing MYGF Grand Bahama Island last week. I was 12 miles and 4,000 feet in bright sun light when the controller asked for my position I turned on my new light and gave my DME he came right back with "I see you you"  I joked about my new LED landing light and he gave me a positive laugh.

Keith N4289S

Peter Zajkowski

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 02:12:01 AM »
I notice that Aircraft Spruce has been promoting the Alphabeam LED landing light which is "FAA-PMA APPROVED!" (Another email came today.) When you dig into the details, you will find that it is not approved for Debonairs.  I asked Teledyne why not since other 4313 applications and same-vintage Bonanzas are approved.  They told me maybe it was a technical issue, or maybe it was a cost issue (for the paperwork).

Donald Kuskie

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »
I just replaced my right landing light with a Wehlen LED PAR46 part # 01-0790623-10 in my E-35 and it is an approved replacement for the 4522 bulb. I use this as my taxi light day/night and my recognition light.

This is the link for the Parts Manufacturer Approval found on page 8.

http://www.whelen.com/AVIATION/pmasupplements/pmasup38.pfd

Jimmy Borger

• ABS Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 11:49:18 AM »
Whelen says the 46 is a "drop in" replacement.  Was it really that easy?  I can hear my 50 amp alternator groaning when I turn on both my GE landing lights at the same time.  I've seen a Debonair with both landing lights replaced with the PAR46 but didn't get a chance to talk to the owner.

Andrew Hesketh

• ABS Member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 03:24:45 PM »
I installed Whelan LED PAR 46 bulb about two months ago in RH wing. Yes it was drop in.  Spent time on two things - removing screws in wing lens retainer plate, three had to be drilled and "easy-outed"; then found that the positive wire was too short (some previous owner had shortened it because I could barely get the wire attach point on the old bulb) so had to splice new wire.  Actual lamp installation without those two items would have been 30-40 minutes.  Log book entry for pilot maintenance.  I am happy with the result. Compared reflection distance of LH wing 250 watt incandescant vs the LED out on the runway of my home airport while doing night landings. Negligble difference, the LED is a much whiter light, and the ammeter hardly moves.  Replacing the LH bulb is on the list of things to do.

Jimmy Borger

• ABS Member
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 02:01:22 AM »
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Tom Indseth

• ABS Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 09:21:26 AM »
I just installed the Whelen PAR 46 replacement LED's in my G-35 Bonanza.  They are PMA'd and an approved direct replacement for the original.  A bit pricey but they should last for most of what is left of my flying career.

Steve High

• ABS Member
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 01:05:01 AM »
I just replaced both the taxi and landing light on my G 36 Bonanza with Whelen's par 46 LED lights. Cannot tell from the amp meter if they are working. However, I now fly with the landing light on to 5k feet and turn it back on decending. Easy replacement and good to know they will last a long time.

Ian Van Wyk

• ABS Member
Re: LED & New Technology Landing Lights
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 09:18:40 AM »
I have tried and compared most of the FAA-PMA'd LED replacement landing lights and the AeroLEDs SunSpot 36 HX is by far the brightest. If your having any doubts or hesitations about making this upgrade please feel free to send me a PM and we'll discuss things further.