Author Topic: OSborn Tip Tank Installation  (Read 2263 times)

Michael Hicks

• ABS Member
OSborn Tip Tank Installation
« on: September 08, 2011, 12:26:44 AM »
I have Osborn tip tanks and all associated componants including the STC from a salvaged A36.  I want to install the tanks on my current A36.  Reading the STC it appears that the STC is not serial number specific. Do I have to ahve permission from Osborn to install on a different ac?  All input appriciated.

Bill Lavender

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 10:41:50 PM »
Can't answer your question, however, I have new in the box, an Osborne tip tanks fuel transfer pump. I had it as a spare for my A36 with Osborne tip tanks, but sold the a/c before I needed it. Make me a reasonable offer. I think I paid somewhere north of $250. bill@agairupdate.com

Bill Lavender

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »
Oops. Guess I should have updated my profile! Interesting. First post had the earlier profile photo of the A36, with the Osborne tip tanks. Updated and it got replaced. Bill Lavender2011-09-17 07:21:54

Thomas Smithhisler

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:57 PM »
Bill,

Please call me on my cell phone regarding the spare transfer pump.  614-325-9830.

Bill Lavender

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 04:36:49 AM »
Correction, everyone. My son just told me that we sold the pump awhile back.

Lew Gage

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:22:21 AM »
You should contact Osborn and discuss what you want to do. You are required to have a "letter of authorization" (LOA) from the STC holder to install and use STC. Also, you need all of the rest of the kit contents to do the installation. There is more to it than just the tanks.

Michael Hicks

• ABS Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 11:32:10 PM »
Thanks for the information.  That was the information I was looking for.  I do have ALL the componants of the installation as I own the donor aircraft as well.  I realize that the fuel doesnt magically flow from the tanks to the engine with out additional compoants.

I will check with Osborn for the LOA.

Richard Jones

• ABS Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 01:38:05 AM »
I have a complete installation kit for the Osborn tip tanks.  It is the direct feed system that replaces the old fuel selector so that you have:  Left Main, Right Main, Left Tip, Right Tip, Off.  It fits the later model bonanzas with the two 40 gallon tanks.  I have been meaning to sell it for some time but have not got around to it.  

I installed a used set of Osborn tip tanks on my J35 Bonanza back in 1996.  John Osborn was very helpful with the paperwork and providing the components I needed for my airplane.  Give him a call.  

Michael Hicks

• ABS Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:01:15 AM »
I have the direct feed fuel selector as well, but additionally there is what appears to be an electric fule pump or possibly a fuel valve that was mounted to the main spar carry over,also located near the 5 position fuel selector valve is an electrical switch that is placarded "fuel cross feed on/off".  So do I have both options?  Should there be another transfer pump or two located in the wings?  THoughts anyone?

Chip Mirman

• ABS Member
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:28 AM »
What you are looking at is an electrically operated valve.

The "cross feed", which is a misnomer, allows both tips to feed simultaneously no matter which tip is selected on the fuel selector if the "fuel cross feed on/off" switch is in the "on" position. In the "off" position only the tip selected on the fuel selector feeds the engine.

The fuel returns to the left main in either case.

The trouble with using the "cross feed" is that the tips never drain evenly.

In my V35B when I have burned 12 gal from one tip that returns 8 gal to the left main so it's easy to burn 16 from the left main, 12 from the right tip, 12 from the left tip, leaving, at that point, both mains full and both tips empty with 40 gal total burned. Then burn off 20 from the left main, 20 from the right etc.

Robert Lewis

• ABS Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »
Richard what are you asking for the install kit? Thanks Bob