Author Topic: Bonanza performance web application project  (Read 2404 times)

Steven Kleiman

• ABS Member
Bonanza performance web application project
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
I've developed a web application that computes the POH predicted performance for my turbonormalized G36. It computes W&B, takeoff and landing distance, enroute performance, and IFR procedure climb performance.

A copy of the app is here.

I was wondering of there are any fellow geeks out there who are interested in expanding the application to other models or serial numbers, other browsers, or doing some QA. As written, it only applies to my aircraft.

The app is written in Javascript and is self-contained once downloaded (i.e. it doesn't require code on the server, just http). It tries to do a piecewise linear approximation of the POH graphical data and interpolate it using the same procedure as the POH. I've added some fun things like the "upslope takeoff minimum headwind" which tells you how much headwind is required before taking off upslope is better than taking off downslope.

It currently works in IE7 and iPhone (it has a different UI for the iPhone than for a desktop browser). It doesn't seem to work with desktop Safari or Firefox.

My interest is limited to making this webapp available to others so that their POH data is easier to use. I'm not interested in doing more work on it, but I'm willing to send the code to anyone who is. There are some terms of use that are designed to allow the code to be modified freely and protect the people who modify it. The terms are reproduced here:

This software has not been rigorously tested. In using this software you agree to hold all authors and contributors to this software, or distributors of this software harmless from all claims of damage and/or liability. Any information provided by this software is advisory. Your aircraft's Pilot's Operating Handbook (POH) is the authoritative source of your aircraft's performance information. In using this software you agree to confirm all results against your aircraft's POH.

You may freely modify or distribute this software provided that you retain terms of use that provide equivalent or stronger damage and liability protection for authors, contributors and distributors of this software or a modified version of it, and such terms of use must be acknowledged by every user of a modified version of this software.

The algorithms and parameters in this software are approximations of POH values and are designed for a specific individual aircraft. You must modify the source to this software for use with your aircraft. You are responsible for verifying that the parameters and algorithm's are appropriate for your aircraft.

Jeff Guttenberger

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 12:10:47 AM »
Steven, I also fly a Cirrus SR22 and someone on the COPA site developed an app where you can fill in all the details on your aircraft, i.e., gross weight, moments, arms, etc. I know you don't want to do any more work on this, but maybe someone does. I looked at your app and it looks great. If anyone wants to look at the Cirrus app, here's the link:

http://www.cirrusperformance.com/

Zachary Armstrong

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
While I don't have your type of Bonanza, I just wanted to say "thanks" for putting your hard work out there to everyone.  

This is what the ABS is for, and the application is pretty sweet.  I am not computer literate enough to be able to adapt it to my G35, but overall, I just wanted to say thank you.  

Steven Kleiman

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »
All,

I've moved the URL slightly. I've also included a link to easily download the source. Try

http://www.sollandau.com/G36TN/G36TNPOH.htm

Steven Kleiman

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:53:48 AM »
One more thing.

I will probably be leaving ABS soon. You can see why here:

http://www.sollandau.com/TBM8/TBM850POH.htm

You can contact me at steven.kleiman@ieee.org.

Steven Kleiman

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 07:27:16 PM »
I'll be taking down the G36TN performance WebApp soon. Let me know if you'd like the source under the terms of use. You can run it on your computer by simply clicking the .htm file.

steven.kleiman@ieee.org.

Tom Turner

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 02:08:24 AM »
Thanks, Steve.  I've emailed you directly about getting a copy of the app and your terms of use.  Enjoy your TBM 850!

Sid Pinney

• ABS Member
Re: Bonanza performance web application project
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 09:49:11 PM »
Nice application.   Proud to share the skies with a software artisan.  (-: