Author Topic: Anybody here replace their lighting with LEDs?  (Read 6177 times)

Ray Benischeck

• ABS Member
Anybody here replace their lighting with LEDs?
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 03:40:39 AM »
We are experimenting with the Whelen LED landing/taxi lights in our 58 fleet.

1st-pilot complaints about the 40 degree spreader lamp in the taxi position. Too broad a beam with not enough penetration. Switched to standard landing LED in taxi position and complaints stopped.

2nd-Whelen landing light MUST NOT be installed closer than 24" to any flux gate. A non long range fuel tank Baron 58 only has about 17" clearance in the left wing.

We are now waiting on delivery of the Teledyne product which will be a PMA installation, unlike the Whelen STC. More money but our 4596 expenditure is over $7,000 anually. This should pay for itself in about 1 year.

Stephen Collins

• ABS Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 04:24:58 AM »
Todd, I replaced the filament landing light in my A36 several weeks ago with a Whelen LED.  I used it for the first time last night.  The light pattern was as good or better than the filament bulb, but if it just doesn't burn out every 2 months like the old bulbs, it will be worth every dollar in terms of safety alone.  

Tracy Ryan

• ABS Member
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
The only way to extend the life of a regular filament light is to install the landing light vibration isolation kit from HBC. It would also probably help a HID and even an LED from the vibration.

Unfortunatly theres no help from vibration for the taxi light.

Todd Makiyama

• ABS Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
For those of you who own D'Shannon Tip tanks, I talked to Scott Erikson at D'Shannon.

He too, recommends the $32.50 led lights from Aircraft Spruce that Tom Pelz above listed for the tip tank nav lights.  He did say however, D'Shannon does not currently have a solution for replacing the strobes in the tip tanks and they are actively looking into it at this time.

I am planning to repl the tail, right and left navs in the next week or so.  I am hoping to replace the upper and lower beacons and landing lights soon.  Whelen wants $538 for each upper and lower beacon and the landing lights are going to run $650 for both.

Todd Makiyama

• ABS Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:42 AM »
Tom Pelz, or anybody who has firsthand knowledge - are the led replacements for the red/green/tail sold by aircraft spruce dimmer/brigher/same as the conventional bulbs they replace?

Todd Makiyama

• ABS Member
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:17 AM »
It's been quite a time since I posted the question to this forum.  Well I did it.  replaced my nav lights.  Unless anybody tells me its a faux pas to not include the colored dome, I left it out.  On my BDS tip tanks, the dome is what holds the socket to the flange, so as you can see, I bent the tips of the retainer inwards to hold it in.  

BDS does not have a solution for the wingtip strobe yet, they said they are currently working on a led solution for it.

I could not replace the tail cone lamp, I have a whelen strobe type light back there.  Will work on that.

Next?  Landing lights and bottom strobe.  Not $32/ea.  Spruce has the bottom led  strobe at ~$550, and two teledyne led landing lights at $325 ea (I need two).

Photos?  see here:

http://s864.photobucket.com/albums/ab209/tkmak/K35%20LED%20replacement/

Ron Hensley

• ABS Member
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Todd;

I've done the tip tank NAV lights also, but I ordered/installed clear lenses to replace the red/green ones.  I managed to find the clear ones for ~$20 each rather than the ridiculous price of ~$115 each that some merchants are wanting to charge for them.

Regards,

RonRon Hensley2011-02-01 15:03:22

David Rivera

• ABS Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »
I replaced my landing light with the whelen led and it made a huge difference. I can leave my lights on while in busy airspace and not worry about it not working at night. I was tired of accelerating down the runway at night and having the landing light burn out on rotation. The led won't blow a filament at takeoff or on a hard landing. I am now going to change out my beacon again to the whelen unit. I also have an F33A.

Has anyone friend the whelen beacon/ strobe unit. Does the strobe blind you in IMC or at night?

Rick Utermoehlen

• ABS Member
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
Hello Todd looks like you received good advice here.We flrew at BPPP a few years ago just wondered if you remembered and how you were? rick Utermoehlen CFII