Author Topic: 1963 P35  (Read 418 times)

William Wolcott

• ABS Member
1963 P35
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
I've been trying to put together a partnership in a mid 80's A36 for over a year now but haven't been able to find the number of partners we wanted to make it most feasible.  In the meantime, I've come across a club that has this V-tail Bonanza.  They're looking for another member or two and wanted an instructor if possible. I have a lot of flying experience and my CFII so this seems like a great fit.

In spite of my flight experience though, I have never owned an airplane, nor flown one as old as this one, so I'm looking for some suggestions for what kinds of things I should be asking about the airplane's mechanical condition.  I don't yet know how much total time is on the airplane, but I'm told the engine is pretty new (approx. 300hrs). I'm concerned about the propeller, gear motor, etc.  Additionally, I wonder about what kind of fatigue even a well maintained airframe is subject to after nearly 50 years of use.  I'm aware there are a lot of these airplanes out there flying today, but how do you address the question of whether it's safe to put your family in this thing.  Inspections can be done for corrosion, but can you adequately inspect the wing spar?

I have every reason to believe that the club has the means and the intent to maintain the airplane, but what types of things can be missed by even the best intentions?

I'd appreciate any help.

Scott Gunter

• ABS Member
1963 P35
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:23:19 PM »
William, you don't say where in the country you are. Any model Bo that's been maintained according to the book that hasn't got a corrosion problem to begin with should be okay. I'm a new owner myself and I took my Bo to a Bonanza service clinic in November. Although my airplane had a very extensive annual inspection (one of the "selling" points in my decision to buy) it still generated 19 squawks on the service clinic inspection. And the annual was accomplished by a very competent shop. So, the upshot is: Corrosion and competent maintenance. An ABS service clinic inspection would be a question to ask in addition to the normal maintenance/annual inspection. Good luck. P models are great classics.