Author Topic: IPad2 Reception Again!!!  (Read 776 times)

Terry Pelham

• ABS Member
IPad2 Reception Again!!!
« on: December 19, 2011, 01:03:35 AM »
I purchased a 3G IPad2 16GB, GNS 5870 ant. Verizon 10.0 is the carrier. Fore flight is tha app. During several flights in MI above 5000' I have lost reception, until I decended down to land and then all is in order. I have asked the Verizon rep and he said the IPad will have the same problems with signal as a cell phone. Is this true? On a recent flight to AZ At 9000-10' MSL there was no signal thru parts of TX, NM, AZ. On several occasions at those altitudes updated information would pop-up. All the posts I have read and YouTube sites state how great this combination works. What Am I missing? Please help?

Lost & Found

Dick Druschel

• ABS Member
IPad2 Reception Again!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 11:18:16 AM »
Terry,

I live and fly in MI and I have a Verizon iPad2 with Foreflight. I have never lost any kind of signal or data when doing my flights. The 3G mode or airplane mode should be turned OFF while flying. This keeps the iPad from searching for cell towers in flight. I would suggest contacting one of the Foreflight tech people for additional help. We have one based in MI.

Dick

Ian Green

• ABS Member
IPad2 Reception Again!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 02:23:15 AM »
I have the Bad Boy WAAS adapter and do turn off the WiFi and Cell connections when in flight.  I am using Jeppesen package and have not any problems flying in the greater Northeast.  My IPAD 2 has the 3G package with WiFi.  On the ground the 3G works with WiFi and if no signal it goes to Verizon.  In the air the unit is using the WAAS signals(GPS).  The Jeppesen package does not, at the present, have all the option you may have.  Jeppesen is adding most of these features in the first quarter of 2012.  It is my understanding the airlines are using the IPAD with Jeppesen, this has the approval of the FAA.  I do not know if the FAA has approved the IPAD with any other system.

Paul Hutchinson

• ABS Member
IPad2 Reception Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
I posted this already in another thread but:

Using the 3G connection in flight is not necessary or legal.  With an ipad and Foreflight which has current charts loaded, you don't need 3G, it is all there.  Just be sure to preflight the ipad for the charts you may need.  

Dana Perez

• ABS Member
    • Aviate ESP
Re: IPad2 Reception Again!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:09 PM »
I purchased a 3G IPad2 16GB, GNS 5870 ant. Verizon 10.0 is the carrier. Fore flight is tha app. During several flights in MI above 5000' I have lost reception, until I decended down to land and then all is in order. I have asked the Verizon rep and he said the IPad will have the same problems with signal as a cell phone. Is this true? On a recent flight to AZ At 9000-10' MSL there was no signal thru parts of TX, NM, AZ. On several occasions at those altitudes updated information would pop-up. All the posts I have read and YouTube sites state how great this combination works. What Am I missing? Please help?

Lost & Found

I think we are all saying the same thing... but don't expect to get 3G service/internet.. but you should not have any issue with your GPS Signal especially with the external GPS receiver.  So are you questioning the fact that you don't have internet or cell service?  Or whether you are losing your GPS signal?