Author Topic: battery box repair  (Read 1803 times)

Richard Hoffman

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:08:39 PM »
First time on hangar flying.  I need to repair minor pin holes in the bottom of my D55 battery box.  Some beech blogs advocate repair with fiberglass.  Does anyone know if this is an acceptable method of repair??

4 local A&P's gave different answer's

Ian Green

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 10:13:10 AM »
Several years ago, during an annual, I noticed my battery box was in poor condition.  No leaks, but who knows when.  I had the box removed and built a new box  from SS.  It is identical to the original.  You could seal the bottom, but I do not know how fiber glass would last in an acidic area.  You donot want acid leaking onto the aluminum.

Ed Loskill

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:06:23 PM »
Rich,

I suggest you call Jerry Hammock at Hammock Aviation in Ennis TX.  He's great, and is a Bonanza-only guy.

972-875-4279
Ed Loskill
edloskill@me.com
1966 V35

Joe Weaver

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:15:53 AM »
Rich, I agree, Jerry Hammock is the Bonanza Guru of Gurus. He also sells a stainless steel battery box conversion that removes the old batt box and replaces it the new one on the front of the firewall. The kit is STC'd. $500 for the kit if you handle the install. It helps more than you'd think with weight & balance as well with the weight of the battery more forward.

Stuart Spindel

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 01:46:04 AM »
Not certain that he has an STC for the Barons.

Probably a fiberglass repair and a RG battery would be okay. I like the stainless solution, but could be done as owner produced item.

Lew Gage

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:49 PM »
If acid spill or venting of the acid gas is of concern use a Concord RG battery. They provide trouble free service. I have used them since they were introduced and have had nothing but good results.

Regards,  Lew Gage

John Johnson

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
You could remove the battery box, strip it of paint, and then examine it to see the extent of the damage.  A powder-coating shop has the tools to strip it for you, as well as the capacity to apply relatively thicker coatings that just might fill "pinholes" for you.  Probably cost around $75 and would be a relatively durable finish.  (That was done to mine--I didn't have any holes--but unfortunately I had some subsequent battery acid leakage that damaged the bottom paint again.  Even powder coats can be damaged by acid, apparently.  Switched to a sealed battery now.)

Rick Stinchfield

• ABS Member
battery box repair
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:03 PM »
This last year I had a warranty problem with my G-35 Gill battery. Made a mess of my battery box. After extensive cleaning with Baking Soda & water, I purchased a a can of "Black acid proof battery box paint" from Sacramento Sky Ranch, to repaint the interior of the box,again. I had done this a few years back and was glad I had. That paint was able to keep the acid away from making contact with the metal, except for a couple spots where the paint was not thick enough. The paint really works and I suggest everyone do it. Also, check the inside of the box at every annual, for any wear or cracking in the paint.

Jim Morris

• ABS Member
Re: battery box repair
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:24:10 PM »
I agree with Lew...Go with a Concorde sealed battery.