Author Topic: Bicycle Camping  (Read 737 times)

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
Bicycle Camping
« on: March 23, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
I love bicycle touring.   

One of the advantages of the Bonanza is the ability to travel some distance quickly.

I remove the back seat from my Bonanza, then put bicycles and camping gear in the large empty area behind the front seats.

I remove the seat, the pedals, the tires and then turn the bike upside down.  I wrap the chain and everything in a large towel and place the bike in the cabin.  

Alternately, I have begun using Bike Fridays, excellent folding bikes.

Where to travel?    Madeline Island in northern Wisconsin, Beaver Island Michigan, Katy Trail in Missouri, trails in Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin.  

Alternately, I fly somewhere (no where near a metro area) land, unpack then begin traveling.   One such place was Ontonagon, Michigan.  We then rode on quiet roads.   Or Houghton County airport.  Then ride the back roads along Lake Superior.

All in all, great exercise, and a great way to see the country.   Both fast and slow.

Tom

Gary Read

• ABS Member
Re: Bicycle Camping
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 04:32:13 PM »
Tom, I can't believe that I previously missed seeing this topic and you posted it way back in 2009. We too have done a number of fly and bike trips over the past few years. We have mountain bikes, we use the same pair of bikes for everything from single tracks to touring.  Usually the 5th seat isn't in my V35 anyhow, but for bike trips we remove the 3rd and 4th seats. We only need to remove the front wheels in order to guide each bike in through the passenger door. Both bikes are kept upright with one bike along each wall. I use bungees to secure the bikes to cargo rings at the bottom of the aft cabin bulkhead and at the front of the bikes I use the rear seat track structures to hook bungees. The BoB Ibex trailer that I pull sits on the floor between the bikes with the cargo bag in it and our back packs and the front wheels at either side. We've got this down to a pretty quick and efficient load and unload drill now. The most time consuming part is me getting bungee cords routed to secure the load without stressing any spokes and assuring no bags are likely to get grimed or chaffed in turbulence. Whether camping or hotel hopping, everything we need for a weekend or a week leaves with us on the bikes or in the BoB. Some favorite trips so far: - Traverse City, MI, KTVC, nice bike routes for day trips and a pretty city to come back to every night.  - Gulf Shores, AL, KJKA, Bike friendly roads from the airport to camping, hotels, or condos along the Gulf of Mexico. - London, KY, KLOZ, spent a week bike camping and traveling around to scenic areas in the Daniel Boone Nat'l Forrest. - And our most favorite so far was biking the Great Allegheny Passage from Allegheny County, PA, KAGC (near Pittsburgh) to Cumberland, MD and back. Scenery, kayaking, rock wall climbing, history, and many bike friendly lodging and camping options along the 150 miles of crushed limestone, bridges, and tunnels. - Looking forward to flying to Cumberland, MD, KCBE, and biking the C&O Canal Tow Path from Cumberland to Washington DC and back. We would really like to trade fly/bike info with others.