Author Topic: Tower Procedures: Confirm Gear Down?  (Read 982 times)

Dave McGee

• ABS Member
Tower Procedures: Confirm Gear Down?
« on: October 19, 2009, 07:45:59 AM »
COS (Colorado Springs) Tower asked me (3 times) to "Confirm Wheels Down" on an recent after midnight arrival.  I have to admit to not being very responsive to the request (thus being asked 3 times) as such a report has never been part of my reporting routine and I was puzzled at the request.  Has anyone heard of such a request before?  The only sense I can make of the request is that the controller thought I was overwhelmed, distracted or an idiot because I flew past the airport/runway from a vectored right base before seeing it and had to turn back to final.  Quite frankly, COS's runway is VERY difficult to see at night as they have those very bright, but very directional, runway lights typical to ILS runways and they are very hard to see when approaching them at a right angle, particularly in the maze of urban ground lights.  Just wondering if anyone else has every been asked to confirm wheels down by a tower.

Brian Conley

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 02:01:53 PM »
Yes. Cheyenne,WY (CYS).

I am told the tower is operated by the military or WNG.

Anyway. I have gone into there in 152's , 172's , 182,s ,Cutlass RG's and the Bo.

Doesn't matter what you come into there with you will hear "Bonanza XXXXXX check gear down". Kinda wish they all did that!

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »
Military towers are required to ask that by their own rules.  Non military towers are never required to ask that.

Dave McGee

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:54:16 AM »
Thanks!  It did not occur to me that it was a military practice.  That might explain a previous FSS briefing following my disclosure that "we are a BE36" of a NOTAM's including "COS closed to B-52 traffic" to which I quipped "I guess I'll have to leave my B-52 at home this weekend".