Author Topic: Any Favortie Camping Destinations?  (Read 1487 times)

Steve Carson

• ABS Member
Any Favortie Camping Destinations?
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:41:03 PM »
My young daughters want to go camping and I want to go flying.  Does anyone have any favorite camping destinations within a couple of hours of Chicago that don't involve renting a car?

Thanks!

Jeff Guttenberger

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:38:16 AM »
I have the perfect spot for you. Woolsey Memorial 5D5 around Traverse City. SOd Field right next to a state park and a ten minute walk from the beach. Beautiful!

Don Lawrenz

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 11:44:58 PM »
This is too obvious..... OSHKOSH!!

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
Camping in a tent?

Just the two of you?

Can you remove your rear seats?

1. AOPA used to list in its airport guide if camping was allowed on the field.

2.  Madeline Island (4R5) permits camping next to your airplane.  You can walk from the airport to the town.  There is a ferry from the island to Bayfield, which is also an interesting place to walk around.

3.  If you have bicycles and your rear seat is removed you can take them with you.  I use Bike Fridays, if I am going to do mostly road touring.   

If I am going to ride gravel trails, I take regular bikes with 2 inch wide tires.  On those bikes, I remove the pedals, the wheels, the seat and seat post (after marking the height with black electrical tape).  I then turn the bike upside down and wrap the chain with a large dark colored towel.  I then place each bike into the luggage area through the front door, standing the bike on its handle bars.

I then carefully pack the rest of the parts into the airplane.   

Note:   I have a handle bar bag on each bike.  I place the pedals in the bags.  That way I can use the pedals to propel the bike after I get the bikes put back together.  Not fun to find them on the hanger floor when I have returned after the trip.

On Madeline Island, there also is a state park you can camp in, but you have to ride there.  One advantage of the state park is showers.

There are probably other places you could fly to, but I think Madeline meets your stated requirement best, if you do not carry bikes and don't mind walking about two miles to the town of La Pointe, Wisconsin.

Tom

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
The real camping is out West, Montana and Idaho.  Over 100 places to go.  Here's one, Smiley Creek, elevation 7200 but wide open approaches.

Here's another, Johnson Creek, elev 4900.

http://www.ruralnetwork.net/~yellowpinecm/

Here's one of my favorites, Schafer Meadows, also about 4800 MSL.

Then there's Moose Creek, down around 2300 MSl and a 4000 foot runway.

Moose Creek takeoff on the short runway, gonna need a turn after liftoff:

There's Meadow Creek in Montana:

The list is endless and most are Bonanza capable.  So come out here and leave the bugs behind.  We don't do mosquitoes here.  July, August and September are the best months.

Steve Carson

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 02:35:13 PM »
Looks like I need more vacation time.  Great thanks everybody.  These all sound great.  

Great Pics Scott.  Montana is definitely on the list now. I like the part about no skeeters.

Steve