Author Topic: Looking for destinations  (Read 3911 times)

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
Looking for destinations
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
I have flown into Mackinac Island.

Easy access.  Approach provides your passengers a great view.

No airport car.  No cars on the island.   Taxi has a one horsepower motor, don't step in the exhaust.  You can easily walk to town or unpack your bikes and ride.   Bike are available to rent.

No fuel to sell, so you will pay a landing fee (worth it).  

Cannot say anything about the accommodations as it has been over ten years since I have been there.

Bob Rogers

• ABS Member
Looking for destinations
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 05:54:39 AM »
Meigs Field was one of my favorite destinations to fly to in Chicago. Knowing that it would eventually close,my son,Todd flew as a passenger in another plane and took pictures of my A-36... N447BR... flying with Meigs and the Chicago skyline in the background. The picture was selected as a cover for an ABS Magazine.

I remember flying to and landing at all 3 Chicago airports one evening. I first landed at O'Hare,then flew to Midway,and finally landed at Meigs. It was a real achievement that still brings back fond memories.

Bob Rogers

• ABS Member
Looking for destinations
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 06:08:37 AM »
I like to fly to airports that I can find a great dining experience at either on the field or within close proximity using a courtesy car from the FBO. I don't believe in the $100 hamburger per se as a good flight and a wonderful dining experience go hand in hand. I am based at ARR in the Chicago area and have been known to fly to Atlanta,Ga. just for dinner and return back home that same evening.

Some of my favorite airport/restaurants include the following: Jakes Restaurant/Capitol Arpt/Brookfield,Wi,Ocean Club/Columbus Intnl/Columbus,Oh,Annie Gunns/Spirit of St. Louis/St. Louis,Mo.,Candlelight/Whiteside Cty/Sterling,IL,L'etoille/Madison,Wiand a host of others.

PLEASE list some of your favorite fine dining places to fly to in the US.

A. Robert Spitzer

• ABS Member
Looking for destinations
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 06:13:13 AM »
I just remembered that there is an ongoing project to replace the ENTIRE runway, pending funding. At this time, this may occur in the fall, starting in September! The entire airport would be shut down for about two months while the runway is completely replaced (it needs it after 40 years and some sinkholes) - the airport is the only access on and off the island in the winter.

I write this from my house looking out over the Straits of Mackinac at the open water. This year we have no ice bridge so we can't cross by snowmobile. The only access to the mainland is by plane. I listen to the Great Lakes Air flights every few minutes - sounds like Chicago Ohare :-)

Winter is a fabulous ime to visit. This weekend downtown is packed. 1/2 the island is closed for cross country skiing. Look at the web site for year round activities.

Check the notams for possible fall closure of the airport, but this project has been put of 2 or 3 years for lack of funding so you never know if it will go through this year, or put off until spring or whatever. You can always contact me and I can check with the state park for up to date status.

I can also guide you (plural - anyone) to information for island visits - not just airport information.