Author Topic: Buying Advice - Sold my plane....  (Read 1508 times)

Nate Tinkle

• ABS Member
Buying Advice - Sold my plane....
« on: November 16, 2009, 10:17:20 AM »
Greetings!

I'm hoping for some help/advice.  I am unexpectedly without plane. I listed a '00 Skylane on last Monday afternoon and sold it yesterday - much quicker than anticipated.

I passed my check ride just over 2 years ago and have about 300 hours. I (obviously) fly about 150 hours per year travelling to job sites, mostly.  I wanted faster but didn't want to lose the useful load of the 182 (approx. 1000 lb.s).  Looked at Mooneys, but way too cramped and not much useful load.  So here I am.

I've talked to several Bonanza owners, as well as an AI's and nothing but positives.  I'm very much looking forward to experiencing the Bonanza.

Timeframe is now.  I'm trying to be patient, but will probably buy in two weeks or less.  You would think I would enjoy this shopping, but I really don't.  One - I'm overwhelmed.  Two - I need to be productive doing other things.

The straight tails (e.g. A36) look great, but I can't get over the (romance? coolness?) value of the V tail.  I'm looking at two V35B's - one local and one in KY.

My range is $180k and down.  If at the top of the range, it needs new paint/interior/engine, 530, TAS, etc....)  I'm interested more in the avionics than appearances - new paint and leather is relatively cheap.

The local is not listed, but the KY plane is: http://www.controller.com/listingsdetail/aircraft-for-sale/BEECHCRAFT-V35B-BONANZA/1977-BEECHCRAFT-V35B-BONANZA/1160729.htm

While I realize that you would normally have 500-600 hours left on a 1130 hour engine, I won't be able to trust a 32 year old engine.  So... I'm looking at $130k for the plane and $27-30k for a reman.  And eventually new interior, although staying "classic" has some appeal.

Would you consider this a fair/good deal?  Any other suggestions?

I hope to find a great Bonanza community.  I have very much enjoyed the comaraderie of the Cessna Pilots Society.  Is this the best place for this type of dialogue?

Thanks so much for any thought or effort anyone is willing to put into this.

Nate

PlanelessNathan Tinkle2009-11-16 17:18:09

Mike Bland

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 11:03:38 AM »
Nate,

I have a 1968 Model 36 that I have been flying for 35 years.  I think it is the greatest single engine airplane you can buy.  The usefull load (after I fill the tanks to 440#) is 1000 lbs.  The cg is never a problem.  Many V-tails can't be loaded to gross weight without going aft of the cg limit.  It will cruise at 165 knots and I think the flying qualities are a little nicer than the v-tails.  I would think you could find a nice 1975 to 1979 A-36 for the kind of money you are talking about.  I would try to get one with the avionics you want and not plan on putting a lot of money in on avionics after you buy the airplane.  You really need a good autopilot (they don't fly hands-off as well as a Skylane but they fly better in every other respect.)  Make sure the elevators are not corroded or you could be in for an $8000 surprise.  I don't get too hung up about engine hours; I just treat the engine like a consumable.  They cost about $30,000 and are good for 1700 hours.  I'm on my 7th engine.  The airplane has about 9000 hours.

Mike

Nate Tinkle

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
Mike,

Thanks for responding.  I did start the purchase of N17548.  I couldn't pass up the low time and great avionics.  1,129 hours TT, Garmin 530, Avidyne 610, JPI 700, etc.  Depending on whether we do a new interior, I should have her home in 3 to 6 weeks.

Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Nate

Jay Bowler

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 02:49:30 AM »
Nate, welcome to the family. You won't be sorry. Happy Flying!!!  Sign Jay 48984 (N8378N)

Arlen Stauffer

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 05:47:43 AM »
Nate,

Welcome aboard.

One thing to consider:  since most or all of your time is in a C-182, find one of the BPPP CFIs and spend a day learning everything you can about flying the Bonanza.

My first airplane was also a C-182 back in the 80s, and I've owned a Commander 114, a Mooney M20C, and Piper Lance, a Cirrus SR22, and another Commander since then -- until I finally found what really fits me the best 8 months ago.  The day I spent with the Bonanza CFI the week I got my C33A was great, very valuable; I highly recommend it.

Enjoy that plane...

Nate Tinkle

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:30:10 AM »
Arlen,

I've got an experienced Bonanza CFI here in Abilene - although not a BPPP instructor. BUT, there is a BPPP course in San Antonio in March that I'm planning on attending.

Thanks!

Burns Moore

• ABS Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Nate, I think you'll be delighted with your new plane.  The V tail appears to be the sports car of the bunch, and I get 165 TAS on 10 gallons/hour in cruise.  I'm pretty big, but with that in mind, I can't get out of CG if I stay under MGW.  This is my first airplane, but I'm continually impressed with it's capabilities.  Hopefully, I'll see you in SAT.