Author Topic: Flying to NYC  (Read 902 times)

Tom Drew

• ABS Member
Flying to NYC
« on: December 22, 2008, 11:25:06 AM »
I am flying to NYC with my daughter this spring for the first time. Flying from the Midwest. Staying in Manhattan. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to fly into and potential routing? Am contemplating Teterboro or Linden NJ. Flying E55 Baron on instrument flight plan.

Oh yes, hotel and restaurant recommendations would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Guttenberger

• ABS Member
Flying to NYC
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 06:49:23 AM »
Try Meridian Air Service at TEB. They're light aircraft friendly and you can rent a car or get a limo there. It's a fairly short hop into the city. I like the Essex house on South Central Park but there are many great hotels at really high prices.

Arrival at TEB will probably be the overhead circling approach. Go to the TEB airport website. There's a short course on operating into TEB. There's a lot of traffic and chatter but it's fairly straightforward. Have fun.

Jeff Guttenberger

Philip Ufkes

• ABS Member
Flying to NYC
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 06:19:49 AM »
I would recommend goint to White Plains Westchester County KHPN.  I just flew up to NYC over Thanksgiving and the airport was nice, low-IFR approaches, and Panorama FBO was terrific!  I too looked at TEB but it is very big and expensive.  The Linden airport seemed OK but looking closer it doesn't have a true IFR approach and doesn't have an IFR departure.  If the weather is bad, which it will be this time of year, you may not get in and you'll certainly never get out IFR.  Panorama gave us a ride to the train station (5 minutes) and we took the express to Grand Central (~20 minutes).  Total piece of cake.  When we returned they picked us back up, no hassle and no charge (we did give the line guy a healthy tip).  As a bonus the FBO had drinks and snacks for the kids, no charge.  

As for routing.  GOOD LUCK!  I fly over NYC quite often and I've never figured out the magic.  Just file direct and plan on multiple airborne clearance changes.