Author Topic: FAA to Begin Rulemaking for Third Class Medical Exemption  (Read 94 times)

Tom Turner

• ABS Member
FAA to Begin Rulemaking for Third Class Medical Exemption
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:54:48 AM »
The U.S. Federal Aviation Administration will move forward with the rulemaking process regarding the elimination of the third class medical certificate requirement for many non-commercial pilots.
AOPA reports the FAA has responded positively to the petition it and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) submitted in 2012, requesting action on exempting certain non-commercial pilots from the FAA Third Class medical certificate requirement.

When the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) is released ABS will ask members to take a poll to let us know your opinion about how we should comment.

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/April/02/FAA-announces-rulemaking-on-third-class-medical.aspx?CMP=ADV:1

Michael Friel

• ABS Member
Re: FAA to Begin Rulemaking for Third Class Medical Exemption
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:04:16 AM »
It will be interesting to see where this leads.  I suspect the initial ruling, if any, will be limited.  Eventually I would hope to see pilots flying non commercial flights day, night, VFR and IFR in all of the Beechcraft piston aircraft without the need for a third class medical.  For now I'm happy to see movement on the issue, it's a step in the right direction.