Author Topic: mountain flying mccall aviation wilderness idaho  (Read 1178 times)

Keith Shonnard

• ABS Member
mountain flying mccall aviation wilderness idaho
« on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:26 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with using their bonanza to fly into Big Creek airport at the edge of the central idaho wilderness and whether they have attended the basic mountain flying course with the Mccall group?

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
Re: mountain flying mccall aviation wilderness idaho
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 10:47:31 PM »
Yes, my wife and I have flown all over Idaho and Montana.  I did not use the folks at McCall but rather learned locally. I did go to a seminar put on by Lori McNicholl at last years Idaho Aviation Conference, she's pretty good.   Here's a pic from Big Creek.

Scott Newpower

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:49:39 PM »
Well that didn't work, let's try this.  The pic from Big Creek.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newps/5045340456/in/set-72157624956779301

Keith Shonnard

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 12:53:20 PM »
she wrote back and seemed open to some one on one instruction geared toward going into the Big Creek strip, saying that it's doable with most bonanzas.  what was the condition of the strip?  expect a few gravel chips?  thanks

Tom Thomas

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 05:55:42 PM »
Approximately eight years ago, when I was flying a B36-TC, I took a two-hour lesson from Lori and a year later took the Mountain Canyon Flying course. Both were excellent, and I was able to handle the easier strips immediately after the lesson. I wouldn't consider flying into any of the ID backcountry strips without at least a private lesson. I flew into Bear Creek many times (long before the restaurant was devastated by fire) because it was my favorite strip.  Johnson Creek was another favorite, but it always seemed more of a challenge than Bear Creek. As for stone chips, there undoubtedly were some, but they weren't obvious. At the time, most of Bear Creek was grass.