Author Topic: Practice Manual Gear Extension  (Read 1360 times)

Samuel Dawson

• ABS Member
Practice Manual Gear Extension
« on: October 02, 2010, 05:22:54 AM »
The FBO where I do most of my flying has a V-35.  As part of the checkout I have the pilots do a manual gear extension per the POH.  I did a checkout this week and did the manual gear extension, then did some normal landings.  Gear worked fine.

Someone else then rented the airplane this weekend and reported that the landing gear would not retract.  The mechanic read the warning at the end of the Landing Gear Manual Extension emergency checklist and claims we can not do a practice manual gear extension without having the gear put up on jacks on the ground when we are done- so in esence we can not do a practice manual gear extension.  He is also claiming that the manual gear extension I did is what messed up the landing gear.

Any thoughts on this?  I think it is clear from the Landing Gear Retraction after Practice Manual Extension checklist that we do not have to put the airplane on jacks afterward.

Thanks.

David Gates

• ABS Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:43:15 AM »
Don't think so.

You have to swing the gear on jacks after an actual manual gear extension (i.e. when gear failed the first time around), and if you use the  gear for an emergency descent (beyond Vle).

Don Lawton

• ABS Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:57:57 AM »

Quote from: Samuel Dawson
...a V-35.

The mechanic read the warning at the end of the Landing Gear Manual Extension emergency checklist and claims we can not do a practice manual gear extension without having the gear put up on jacks on the ground when we are done- so in esence we can not do a practice manual gear extension.

Any thoughts on this?

Dunno nuthin' about a V-35, but if it was an F33A, I'd say your mechanic doesn't know nuthin'.

Tom Pelz

• ABS Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 01:08:26 PM »
The following is a copy and paste from the ABS pilot check out manual:

==========================

ABS/BPPP Guide to Initial Pilot Checkout IO-520/IO-550 Bonanza/Debonair December 2009

1 A

Samuel Dawson

• ABS Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 11:31:09 PM »
Thanks for the inputs.  I am actually using the ABS/BPPP checkout guide... which is one reason why I require a manual gear extension during checkouts.  This airplane also has the "magic hand", the gear safety switch which automatically extends the gear.  I leave this switch off except to show pilots what it does.  Does anyone know if this switch has caused problems with gear retractions?

Samuel Dawson

• ABS Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:33:39 PM »
Well, the FBO owner got a ferry permit to bring it back, flew a CFI down there to bring it back only to discover that the problem was... the manual gear retraction handle was not stowed.  Talking to the person who rented the airplane he admitted he had some bags in the back by the handle (it does not have a cover in this model), and one of his bags probably pulled out the handle then jammed it.  He did not know to check this.  I won't go into the kind of checkout he had.

Paul Safran

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 06:58:22 AM »
That's NOT good!!!!

Even if the breaker popped, it has at a minimum stressed the "ears" on the manual extension shaft. May break when he really needs to drop the gear manually. Further "experienced" inspection is needed of the gearbox.

If the breaker did not pop, something else broke!

Steve Zeller

• ABS Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
Second Paul's opinion. If the gear didn't cycle because something fouled the emergency crank, the gearbox needs a thorough inspection. That little bitty gear motor is very powerful and can literally tear the retraction system apart if everything isn't moving properly. Here is another theory to check out. If a strut is a little flat or sticks when you lift off, the squat switch won't open and the gear won't come up. I have had this happen after a cold snap. Keeping the struts properly serviced prevents this. Find a mechanic who really knows the Bonanza gear system.